• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Down Draft 38/38 Vs 40's Side Draft

bmwownerzrok

When I did my restoration I had dual 40's solex side draft carbs. They were shot. I swapped out to a 38/38 down draft webber.I hogged out my intake and my car runs strong and easy to manage. However, I am wondering at this point if I should have went with the webber 40's side drafts. I am running 284 cam stahl header, straight pipe and  ti pistons. Too many other little things to mention. I seem to always get mixed responses. Some say with my set up I am good and side drafts is unnecessary. While others say I am losing out on top end. The one thing I do know is I don't want to sit and tinker with carbs ALL the time. I am wondering once dialed in how much up keep is required for a garaged car. Also if someone went from a 38/38 to 40's side draft and noticed a significant change to warrant to investment.  

Edited by bmwownerzrok

From the information I've gathered, the 40's are more for the cool factor. Especially with something like a 284, that's not a big cam. Id say you're better off with a well tuned 38. Yah, you'll lose out on maybe a HP or two on top end, but for me reliability is more important. I know on my car I will be running a 300 cam, 9.5:1, and a 38. So thats my opinion on the subject.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

From the information I've gathered, the 40's are more for the cool factor. Especially with something like a 284, that's not a big cam. Id say you're better off with a well tuned 38. Yah, you'll lose out on maybe a HP or two on top end, but for me reliability is more important. I know on my car I will be running a 300 cam, 9.5:1, and a 38. So thats my opinion on the subject.

Thanks for the input. All I remember is I met a guy out here with side drafts and pretty much the same set up and it seemed his car was faster. Could have just sounded faster with the woosh...

That noise does add 50 Hp  :lol: Great sound!!

Edited by roadhog0

-Nathan

I have the 38 and I would say its pretty good for a stock motor (like mine)  On the other hand if you want a better sound and more fun then build a motor and go with 45's .. that's my plan in the future.  For me for now the 38 is working out well.

1975 2002 Pastellblau 

Keep in mind that side drafts take a little more babying when cold, but the trade off is the intake sound and the upper end. The 38 is more forgiving when cold due to the electric choke, but you trade some low end grunt for the top end. 

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

• 2 weeks later...

I will add that I have yet to find someone whom reacts positively to the idea of helping me tune my DCOE's, and I haven't even installed them on the car!

Every shop ive talked to just says to go with the 38/38. Since I already have the DCOE's I won't be doing that, but it does seem a bit odd that nobody is interested in taking my money to tune them. Onto the books for me

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

I'll second and third the above mentioned guy. Very worth the drive to Seattle to have it tuned!

-Nathan

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors