• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Bmw 2002

Daniel Khyvat

Nice 02! I'd hate to see you put flares on it... Solid straight car. But what you're gonna do you're gonna do. And you can work on cars in the winter here... It aint that bad LOL!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on Patrick at Midnight Motorsports. He is truly a standup guy. He helped me get my MS project started with lots of good advice. If I lived out your way I would not hesitate to use him.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Looks like an awfully nice car for the price, especially if minimal rust.  Obviously subjective, but I really like the color, looks to be a pretty well maintained original car, if me I would figure out the safety and reliability items that may need attention (if any) and start bombing around in it.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

Update

I've finally gotten the car on a lift and found some concerning spots nothing that will condemn the car but I have never cut and welded on a car -  how hard can it be? Here they are:

20140208_093341.jpg

^^^(From underneath) This is the drivers side foot well, the accelerator is mounted in this area and thus will need to be removed, the area will be cut out and butt welded with 20ga steel and pedal remounted with a hinge in stead of current mechanism.

20140208_093309.jpg

^^^(From underneath) Rear passenger side back seat, cut and replace.

20140220_142935.jpg

^^^(From above) Inside the trunk at the spare tire well, I can move the spare tire mount protrusion but its not crumbling. Was considering removing it all together and replacing with a flat sheet, but the next picture makes me want to try to replace it as is.

20140220_142909.jpg

^^^ It was in the well like this and it just looked so right beside the fuel tank, and there it will remain after the well is repaired. I'm considering a fresh powder coat and tire further down the line.

20140220_142825.jpg

^^^Center console was rebuild with a piece of plywood and had a modern pioneer cd player in it, I don't think I will be re-installing this as I prefer the look of the interior without the center console. I'll mount the hazard switch in the dash.

20140220_142743.jpg

^^^ I'm going to let this floor panel dry out take measurements and make a new one out of some plywood.

20140220_142702.jpg

^^^ What is this tank??? I tapped on it and it's empty. Request identification!

That is all.

• 3 weeks later...

20140309_151332.jpg

So I pulled up the carpet on the car this morning, and with the carpet the gas pedal came off. I'm excited because the hole that was left was really clean I started to cut away but wasn't getting far with a Dremel. I'm going to break out the wire brush next time we have some decent weather and clean it up and get it ready to weld in a plate and remount the gas pedal. The little nubs and sockets that allow the gas pedal to swivel is a design I've never seen before. I think I'm going to replace with hardware from home depot.

While I was in there I saw that the speedometer cable wasn't even plugged into the speedometer - I plugged it in and tightened the nut but it still didn't work, read about 20 mph tops - I think I'm going to need a new speedometer.

Any advice for while I'm working in this area of the car - the pedal box looks pretty solid although I will have to remove it to clean and remove rust from that general area. 

For a car from the North West - I was anticipating much more/worse rust. Am I wrong?

I plugged it in and tightened the nut but it still didn't work, read about 20 mph tops - I think I'm going to need a new speedometer.

I'd try lubricating the speedo cable with a dry lube before replacing the speedo - you might get lucky!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif