• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shortened Drive Shaft

bnam

The driveshaft on my Tii hadn't been shortened enough when the PO converted it to 5-spd.  As a result, even after pushing the pumpkin far back as it would go, the driveshaft put enough pressure to distort the guibo and (as I found out today) the Center bearing.  Surprisingly, it worked fine for the past 3K miles that I've had it and for the few thousands the PO had put on.  Even with a tear in the guibo and in the CSB.

It had been on my to-do list.  Finally pulled it out today and took it to Drive Line Svcs in Sac.  It needed to be shortened by close to 1/2".  But, it turns out the U-joints are not in good shape either.  Replacing u-joints, CSB, shortening, balancing runs close to $500.  I think it ill be cheaper to buy a new shortened one.

Ireland offers them.  Anyone else I should consider?

Byas

Dave Varco, I believe, sends shafts out to a local shop for shortening. He's a great guy, very helpful. I sent him the shaft for one of my 5-speed jobs. I think I sent him just the front section to save on shipping, but then the shop can't balance the whole shaft, just the front section. 

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

The local shop will shorten for $60.  If the u joints were ok, I could have replaced the CSB myself and then get it shortened and balanced.

Can I replace the u-joints myself?  The BMW kit is ~$80, but what equipment will I need?

What brand of CSB is recommended?  BMW is $250+ just for CSB.

Ended up sending the driveshaft to IE for a rebuild.  

I could get a CSB for about $40 and shortening was $65, but Driveline would not repair just the one bad u-joint, they will only repair both together taking cost to $500 all-in or $100 and live with bad u-joint.  So decided to get the rebuild from IE.