• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Euro Bumper Conversion

rey949

In that case all you need to do is drill an opening in the trunk and use the stock mounts from BMW. The car already has the mounting points for the euro bumpers stamped in the rear panel

If you don't have a manual that depicts that as an illustration you can post on the forum and I am sure you will get one there.

I can sell you the conversion for front only if you want.

Rey

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Here is a pic of the car before anything is mounted from the front. I will post one later today dead on from the front with everything mounted as well.

Thanks

Rey

Here is a pic of the car before anything is mounted from the front. I will post one later today dead on from the front with everything mounted as well.

Thanks

Rey

Really good look on that car (ex Bob Muryphy tii <A4>?), so much better than the square bumpers.  AlpinA front spoiler looks good as well, not to metion the staggered 13" AlpinA's ..... 6's on the front and looks like 6.5's on the back.  Lots of fun that car is I am guessing.  Nice work Rey.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Marc,

Thank you for the compliment.

Yes it is Bob Murphy's A4s Tii. He was so meticulous.

Will you be at the SoCal Vintage show? I would love to meet you some day. I will have this car there as well.

Your blog is the best!

Thanks again,

Rey

I wondered the same. Bob did such a great job of ensuring everything on the car was done with the correct Alpina and Turbo parts ( even an e30 motor mount with the shock!).

I have to believe it was how he liked it. He did have the US bumpers tucked back and painted the Polaris body color.

I really like euro bumpers on the later cars. I know fold prefer the roundies, but when you drive a 74 vs a 72 the solid feel of the 74 comes through.

A little heavier, but the A4s spec engine can handle it! It really flies.

Fun car to Marc's point.

Thanks for all the compliments from everyone on the conversion. I really wanted to do it the right way.

I will follow up with the kit very soon.

I think taking a US bumper car and converting over to euro bumpers does the trick!

Rey

Rey, back in the pre-internet days (hard for some on this board to believe.....but really not all that long ago) Bob, along with myself and a few others were some of the early folks "known" to have A4 systems (a total of about 10). I am sure there were more, however since there wasn't the internet, email or other no way to know for sure.  Bob was super meticulous with the prep of that car, I remember seeing it come for sale and thinking it would be a really nice one to own, it has found a good home for sure.  The 13" wheels look just right on the car and the spoiler as well.  One thing about the A4 motors, while his fabricated snorkel device is well executed, the AlpinA OE ducting to front fire wall functions much better as you get a certain amount of "ram air" that the snorkel doesn't give you.....but then you probably already knew that.  As they say, "it goes because it flows........"

I would have like to have tried to make it to that event, buried with work and family stuff currently and little car time.  I know alot of work has been done on my Alpina/Schnitzer motor, afraid to call and see what is going on as then I will be compelled to drive over a small suitcase of cash.....I better face the music.  Anytime your in the bay area and have time, drop me a line.  I am guessing that I will have the completed, dyno'd engine home probably by December 1st - maybe sooner.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Marc

Thanks for the reply. Yes maybe that should be on my bucket list for Bobs Tii. I will scour your blog for the correct ram air setup. I agree with you that it will make a great difference.

Thanks for the invite. I will definitely contact you if I'm in your neck of the woods!

Please do.  When you have so many details already worked out......that is really minor one.  AlpinA used a black paper (material) spiral duct and it fastened to what was essentially an aluminum horn that was attached to the front bulkhead such that it could pick up cold air coming through the front grille.  If I remember right, Jeff Mulcahey (of old Tii Register Fame) did a test and found that with the ducting in place the car ran faster, can't recall the exact details now but he had some certain amount of science behind it (he always did) - it does make sense.

Couldn't tell from the images (so maybe you have already), now you just need to pony up some dough for some of those fancy smancy Michelin "XDX" tyres......

www.alpinabmw2002.com