• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help With My 75 2002. No Start

e30etr

Hey, I have bought my first 2002 two weeks ago. Since then I have replaced the Solex 32/36 Carb and the Mechanical Fuel pump. It drove fine but ran really rich. Anyway, today, I made a trip to O'reillys which is about 1/3 mile away from where I work and it died on me. I have spark and have  check the lines from the tank for any fray/cracks already. My glass filter takes a while to fill up but nothing goes into the carb at all. I am suspecting the push rod is probably worn? Please help me out. I'm stumped. thanks

Coupla things to check:

1.  disconnect the fuel line at the carb and place it in a jar or cup (NOT styrofoam!) and have helper turn the key to start.  You should get a healthy squirt of fuel every few seconds if the pump is functioning.  If no fuel,

a.  blow back through the fuel line and blow bubbles in the gas tank (have someone listen with the gas cap off).  this will confirm no blockage in the fuel line

b. make sure filter isn't choked up with crud.  It's supposed to be only partly full; that's normal.

c. check the flex fuel lines between the firewall and filter, and filter to fuel pump inlet.  If those lines are the old, cloth-covered OEM lines, chances are they're cracked and leaking air--cracks are hidden by the cloth cover.  Mechanical pumps will not function if the inlet side of the pump is sucking air. 

d. pull pump and examine the pushrod; if either end is beveled, replace it.  And if your new pump doesn't look like the old one, know that there are two different length pushrods and your new pump and old pushrod may not be compatible.

2.  If you're getting fuel on the output side of the pump, look down the carb throat (engine off) while working the accelerator linkage; you should see a squirt of gas from the accelerator pump nozzle.  No squirt may mean there's a blockage somewhere in the carb.

Let us know whatcha find...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike is, as always, dead right on this. I once had an odd no-start condition after the car had been stored for a while which turned out to be due to an old cloth line at the gas tank sucking in air rather than gas. 

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)