• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My plan was to do a simple task of repacking my bearings with grease this morning until I broke the lug nut off!

Now what?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

9639302914_547ac4d680_c.jpg

Also it seems like the shoulder of the lug nuts are corroding to the alloy wheels (see pic below).  Any suggestions on preventing this?

9636062505_232729c1ca_c.jpg

~ looking, learning, yearning ~

You can prevent corrosion between the steel lug nuts and aluminum wheels by coating the mating surfaces with an anti-seize compound.  Wurth makes one, and a domestic brand I use is called Nevr-Sieze--its a coppery or silvery looking grease and really works.  I've unbolted exhaust hangers and clamps after 5+ years under the car, and they came right off. 

As for the broken off lug nut--remove the remaining nuts, pull off the wheel and drive out the broken stud--they're pressed into the hubs.  Replace with a new one.  If it's a front wheel you'll have to remove the hub, but I think you can weasel it in on the rear so you won't have to break loose that axle nut that's torqued down with 275 ft/lb of torque.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite