• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked Fuel Sender Sleeve

Hi jgerock

When I read your post "http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/138459-mechanical-fuel-pump-issuesquestions/where you state "If that sleeve is cracked or missing, then you will pull air and not fuel," I looked at the one in my 73 2002 and indeed it is cracked.  I have been trying to figure out why the clear inline fuel filter before the carb is always almost empty even when the car is running.  Could this cracked sleeve be the cause? I have also been trying to figure out why I get an intermittent drag or miss that feels like a fuel starvation issue.  I pulled the tank and cleaned it out and there was very little dirt in it and that's when I noticed the cracked sleeve. My question is.  Can you suggest a solution to this cracked sleeve issue short of shelling out $185 for an new fuel sender?  Thanks......jeff.striebich

post-42899-0-24738000-1377182012_thumb.j

I am a poor stand in for Jim, but it appears the "sleeve", 62 16 1 350 285 is still available for less than a couple of bucks. Check REALOEM to double check me.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Hi Jeff - got your PM (same as above)..   You should not have to buy a new sending unit just for a sleeve.  An alternative is to use SAE fuel hose that clamps directly to the tube.  I would be interested to see if those sleeves are still available.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks...you guys are great.  Repairing that cracked sleeve is the next step in trying to resolve a fuel delivery issue.  After emptying out the tank which was pretty clean, I noticed the cracked sleeve.  The next step is to replace that sleeve.  I am curious to see if the clear in-line fuel filter fills up with gas and if it does, I presume the new sleeve fixed it.  

I'll update my progress and results later.

Thanks again....Jeff Striebich