• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found the issue with my swap..

The m50 injectors I had went tits up. Only cylinder 2 was firing off. Swapped in a set of brand new M20 injectors.. Here's what happened!

Edited by kid2002

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

I had a 88 325i that would run on what I thought was 3 or 4 cylinders.  No engine would ever run on one cylinder out of 6 or even one out of 4.  Even 2 out of 6 would be quite stretch.  Anyway.  It turned out that my C101 connector was not connecting well.  The contacts were corroded from a coolant leak from the throttle body.  There are 2 wires in the connectors that control the injectors.  One for the 1st 3 and one for the other 3.  Well, it ran on 3 cylinders.  When cleaned, all six were happy,

Of course, you could have a bad ignition wire, a fouled plug etc.  But you should check you C101 connector for corrosion.

Let us know what you find.

The same thing happened to me in my e30. One minute I was driving down the road like usual and all of the sudden it was intermittently misfiring. Turns out the c101 was having connection issues. Either swap in new plugs or bypass them all together if you wish.

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^ Good question. I believe most people use the E30 Clutch Hose/Line. People chime in if you have experience with this part.

Can anyone comment? Is an adapter needed to make the connection between the 2002 clutch master and the E30 slave cylinder/hose assembly? I'll have a better idea tonight when I have everything laid out in front of me.

I wanted to update you guys, it's been slow progress but good progress on my end. I got a Lokar Throttle Cable, routed it, and made a bracket. Installed the pedal box, got the brake booster hooked up and now onto the clutch pedal.

Getting close to the first drive..

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

Here's what I came up with for the clutch hose.

Setup is - 2002 Clutch Master Cylinder - M10x1.0 male to male fitting (i'll include a link) - E30 Clutch Hose - E30 Slave Cylinder.

Let me know what you guys think, I ordered one and am hoping to see it Friday - we'll see. http://store.fedhillusa.com/um133.aspx

Here's what I came up with for the clutch hose.

Setup is - 2002 Clutch Master Cylinder - M10x1.0 male to male fitting (i'll include a link) - E30 Clutch Hose - E30 Slave Cylinder.

Let me know what you guys think, I ordered one and am hoping to see it Friday - we'll see. http://store.fedhillusa.com/um133.aspx

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

K guys, i've started my Exhaust build. After that's done, it'll be quiet enough to drive around the block!

Was just curious where you guys were placing your Oxygen/O2 Sensors on your M20 swaps? My 325iX has the O2 sensor pretty close to the manifolds, and on the 325e's they are further down the exhaust. 

My exhaust system plan is this

Stock E30 downpipes (1.5" pipes) - Dual 1.5" Inlet/2.0" SINGLE Outlet (Ypipe) - 2.0" To 2.5" Vibrant Adapter - 2.5" Mandrel Bent Tubing w/ 02 Sensor - Vibrant Resonator - 2.5" Mandrel Bent Tubing - Vibrant Single Inlet/Dual Outlet Muffler

Am I setting myself up for failure if I place the O2 sensor right after my Ypipe? That places it pretty much right before the Transmission Mount, my gut tells me that'll be just fine. I do love the assurance though. I hope you all are having fun with your cars! I'm just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Paolo

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

K guys, i've started my Exhaust build. After that's done, it'll be quiet enough to drive around the block!

Was just curious where you guys were placing your Oxygen/O2 Sensors on your M20 swaps? My 325iX has the O2 sensor pretty close to the manifolds, and on the 325e's they are further down the exhaust.

My exhaust system plan is this

Stock E30 downpipes (1.5" pipes) - Dual 1.5" Inlet/2.0" SINGLE Outlet (Ypipe) - 2.0" To 2.5" Vibrant Adapter - 2.5" Mandrel Bent Tubing w/ 02 Sensor - Vibrant Resonator - 2.5" Mandrel Bent Tubing - Vibrant Single Inlet/Dual Outlet Muffler

Am I setting myself up for failure if I place the O2 sensor right after my Ypipe? That places it pretty much right before the Transmission Mount, my gut tells me that'll be just fine. I do love the assurance though. I hope you all are having fun with your cars! I'm just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Paolo

Hey kid,

What did you do as far as throttle cable goes? And I remember reading that you're running the scirocco radiator? What about a temp sensor for the cluster and electric fan? That's all I've got left and exhaust before drivable on the road. Good luck with the exhaust:)

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Throttle Cable - I'm running a Lokar 36" Universal Cable trimmed to length - could've gotten away with going shorter but you want the extra length for routing, etc. etc. I have to make a bracket off the pedal box for it all to work, i've been so damn busy I havn't been able to snap a lot of pics while working on the car!

I'm using the Rocco Rad - Temp Sensor is a Autometer Sensor running to a Autometer Water Temp Gauge, eventually i'll wire up the temp gauge in the cluster but I plan on also running the Autometer for more precise readings. I have a small SPAL Fan that I plan to use. Cooling system is pretty much figured out but need to install everything and bleed the system.. I can do that once my exhaust is done!

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

I wired the coolant temp sensor straight to my stock gauge.  It's one of the wires coming out of the main harness.  (Don't ask me which color.)

I ran a separate oil temp gauge off the oil pan drain plug, a oil pressure gauge and voltmeter on an independent holder.

I also used the universal Lokar cable.  I am still playing with the adjustment.  The pedal travel is a little short and not very linear as I currently have it.

I also have an aftermarket electric pusher fan with a manual rocker switch.  I opted against a coolant temp sensor switch since this is not exactly a daily driver.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Thanks for the info guys. Pierre, did you just use the stock m20 sensor hooked up to the stick 2002 cluster coolant temp wiring? Also, what about the threaded hole on the bottom of the scirocco radiator ?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Edited by luismpr

The temp sensor for the gauge sits on the t-stat housing.  It gas a single wire.  It's basically a resistance that changes with temperature and the gauge is an ohm meter.  (resistance measuring unit.)  The loop is done through ground.

I am not using the scirocco radiator.  I used a unit from Jegs.  But if there is a threaded hole for a sensor, just plug it or use it for the fan.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam