• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Diagnosing Very Poor Running O2

esty

the past few days i've been driving the o2 truck to work, about 100 miles a day...yesterday on the way home it started running like crap, missing...popping on decel and the engine is shaking violently

steve changed points, rotor and condenser & plugs, leaving the almost new wires with no change in behavior...this morning he changed distributors, same behavior

there's no oil in the radiator & no water in the head...my neighbor came over while steve was working on it this morning and said he thought that it seemed like a vac leak but testing for leaks found none

thoughts, ideas, suggestions

I had new Bremi wires that were defective.  Bought a set from Kingsborne and problem solved.  "It can't be the wires, they are new..."  I was wrong.  You can check them with a timing light on each wire to check for consistent spark.  Just a thought... although it does sound like a vacuum leak.

Rule # 1 :  Compression Test Readings

Cyl. 1___________ psi

Cyl. 2___________ psi

Cyl. 3___________ psi

Cyl. 4___________ psi

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

not good.....all readings should be withing a few psi of each other.  #4 obviously has a problem.  my next step would be to do a leadown test to see where the issue was.  it can tell you if it is rings, intake valve or exhaust valve.

pull valve cover and look at the rockers for #4.  if the intake valve rocker is broken, valve will stay closed.  the cyl cannot pull air in and will show a low compression.

if it is valves, head needs to come off.  if rings, engine comes out.

2xM3

Sounds like lean running to me spray carb cleaner around carb/intake while running , see if idle rises , check booster & hose  too for vac leak .Also you can cover air intake on carb with hand if idle rises , vac leak if hand sucked onto carb no vac leak. Also is fuel filter blocked, are you getting enough gas  ?, blocked jet in carb !

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

something that just occurred to me that i remember...there was/is a ticking, rattling sort of sound in the area of number 4 cylinder....i used a pipe as a amplifier listening around the engine and it was at the rear of the engine

a blown head gasket maybe?

"Sometimes a blown head gasket will cause a whistling or wheezing sound"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_signs_of_a_blown_head_gasket

also water and heavy soot were blowing from the tailpipe which i belw off as normal because of the outside temps at the time

"Often (but not always), a blown head gasket will also cause deposit of water on a piece of cardboard held an inch from the tailpipe output while the engine is running"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_signs_of_a_blown_head_gasket

we bought a leakdown tester last night and...

after reading old threads, we set number 4 cylinder to TDC...or believe we did....the piston was all the way up, using the wire in the plug hole method, cam lobe pointing down

when pressure was added it sounds like the air is coming from under the plug wire heat shield or the rear lower side of the head...i couldn't detect air coming from a valve, the exhaust or carb

i suspect a blown head gasket with the air escaping at the point of the breach in the gasket...when this problem occurred, i was hearing a ticking, clicking, rattling sort of sound from the same are near cylinder number 4

and was getting water from the tail pipe....what do you guys think

for my next adventure, i'lll be helping hubby, steve figure out how to change a head gasket

EDIT

i just had a neighbor over and had him listen to the escaping air...he said it's coming from the rear bottom of the head, where the head meets the block, near cylinder 4 and believes it's a leaking head gasket

Edited by esty