• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Wheels Are These?

• 3 weeks later...

by the way, what is the right offset for a '73 2002?

The factory 5"x13" rims (all tii's and all '74 to '76 cars) ranged from ET26 to ET29, depending on steel versus alloy and earlier versus later. And it appears, from what I read on this forum and hear, that that is often a good range for much larger rims. Nonetheless, you will come across people who, depending on their brake configuration and other car-to-car differences, successfully run ET18 rims -- as often borrowed from e21 cars -- and ET17 6"x13" rims -- a popular Borrani steel rim size -- without a problem.

There are many, many discussions on this forum of this topic in general as well as of the the fitment of particular rims. But an ET in the high twenties is a good starting point.

Steve

EDIT: By the by, I happen to believe that the ET of factory 4.5"x13" rims, as were delivered on all round taillight cars, with the exception of ti's and tii's, was in excess of ET30, perhaps as high as ET35. Others disagree. No one, including me, has yet offered an official source for the ET on the 4.5" rims -- I simply measured one -- but, then again, if you're running 4.5" rims and 165/80 tires, ET is of little concern to you: you've got plenty of clearance!

EDIT 2: It does appear that the factory 4.5"x13" rims were ET35. My evidence for this came in the form of two replacement rims listed on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360745194531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Because both of these rims were manufactured after circa 1976, when German rims began to commonly list ET on each rim, both a September 1977 rim and an April 1984 rim showed stampings of "ET35" on their faces. This accords with my measurement of an original 1967 rim in my collection.

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

hi steve,

my car, which i have recently acquired is pretty much all original with the exception of the wheels.  My aunt, who had it for the last 40 years gave it to me recently and the rims were changed probably sometime in the 80's.  Im not overly fond of them and i want to change these.  I've been looking for Alpina style 20 spoke rims, original preferably, but it seems these are pretty hard to come by.  If anyone here happens to have a set please do get in touch.  Im slowly restoring her and would like to keep it period correct, as much as possible -aesthetically speaking.  Anyone have any comments on the reproduction Alpina rims? 

I think because i do dislike my current wheels (5 -spoke) so much, i have been contemplating getting something more 'modern'  And this is why i was asking about ideal offsets and sizes.  I dont want to modify the body at all.  From what i can gather it seems 15 x 7 with an offset between 20 and 32 should work. Seems 195/50 tires will also fit without any issues.  I am open to the idea of upgrading brakes to something more modern so would like to get rims that will allow me to do so at a later date. 

Thanks any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Emmet

I dont want to modify the body at all.  From what i can gather it seems 15 x 7 with an offset between 20 and 32 should work. Seems 195/50 tires will also fit without any issues.

You are, however, close to the clearance limits with the above. And the difference between ET20 and ET32 could make the difference between, for instance, having to roll your fender lips and not having to roll your fender lips. Do your homework carefully or make certain you can return/exchange whatever you choose.

Good luck and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)