• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying Campagnolo Rims On Ebay: It Pays To Ask

Conserv

I apologize for reviving an old thread but I just picked up 3 x Campagnolo Ragno Wheels (13 x 5.5) and I'm currently trying to source a 4th wheel. I found a couple of sets in Italy but I'm trying to avoid the shipping costs. Is there anyone stateside that has a spare Ragno wheel (in 13 x 5.5) lying around?

@Conserv Do you know the size of the center cap holes for the 13 x 5.5 wheels? I'm trying to source a complete set and I want to be sure I get the right diameter. These things ain't cheap!

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Like 1

I believe the center caps are 55mm. in outside diameter. They insert from the rim’s face and anything larger than 56mm. will definitely not fit into the bore. A circlip, inserted after the center cap, retains the center cap in place.

I posted on the selection and restoration of center caps. Just gotta find it… ??

Congrats and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 2/1/2017 at 3:18 AM, Mike Di Gregorio said:

There are diameter of 54mm and fit on a Campagnolo wheel

11.jpg

16344083_10207886660674440_1732522802_n.png

received_10207895779942416.png

Are these still available, Mike, in your 54mm. size?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

On 4/27/2014 at 5:07 PM, Conserv said:

Campagnolo Center Caps: Multiple Options

As my Campagnolo Bertone rims -- a.k.a., Ragno, or Spider -- undergo restoration, I've been addressing some of the other details surrounding these rims. (And, yes, like most Campagnolo rims of the '70s, these are cast in Elektron, a magnesium alloy.). One of these details is the center cap. And I admit that I am still considering using a BMW roundel mounted on a new replacement cap to "BMW-ize" the rims.

But first I will try an original look, using Campagnolo-labeled center caps. The center caps are domed metal disks, 56mm in diameter, and they insert from the face of the rim, secured by an internal circlip which is also inserted from the face of the rim. The first photo below shows the options I identified. From left to right, number 1 (left-most) to 4 (right-most) they are:

1. New - anodized aluminum with painted-on design

2. Old - anodized aluminum with painted-on design, now badly faded

3. Old - anodized aluminum with incised designs, in-filled with (now) dark-blue paint. "Clunky," almost Keith Haring-esque, incisions.

4. Old - stainless steel(?)/other non-magnetic metal, chrome-plated with incised designs, in-filled with (now) medium-blue paint. Identical to numbers 1 through 3 in dimensions, including thickness, but approximately twice the weight. Incisions much more finely done than number 3.

Given the accumulated dirt, oxidation, damage, and wear on numbers 2 through 4, I could not imagine that any of those three examples were less than 20 years old. Are all three "period," i.e., '70s? I can't say for certain. It's certainly possible.

The "heft" of number 4 is very attractive to me, even though the chrome finish is probably less suited to a 2002 -- particularly a square taillight -- than anodized aluminum. But I especially like the medium-blue paint used to in-fill the incisions: again, not particularly 2002-like. So I tracked down a set on Italian eBay after hopelessly underbidding on a set of 2 that appeared on U.S. eBay -- and which would have solved my problem as two of my rims came with this style of center cap.

Some of the in-fill painting was gone on my four examples, so I used some cerulean blue acrylic paint to touch up the caps. The blue is lighter in person than it appears on the second photo, which shows the 4 center caps I will be using. It is a medium blue at darkest. If I were chasing concours standards, my center caps would need to be replated (and have a few tiny dents removed) and fully re-painted. But they're good 3-footers at present, on a car that's a 50-footer!

Have you seen yet more styles of Campagnolo center caps? Have you seen documents or period photos that might permit us to establish dates or applications for the various styles? Input, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

post-41123-0-04013900-1398632611_thumb.j

post-41123-0-51812100-1398632633_thumb.j

post-41123-0-65782600-1398747123_thumb.j

Oh, here’s my initial discussion of the center cap topic. It’s within this thread.

Regards,

Steve

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I posted on the selection and restoration of center caps. Just gotta find it… ??

Congrats and regards,

Steve

You don't post much, so it should be easy to find.

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 9 months later...

Yea, we chatted DM but for the others, he's got them (currently out of stock)...advertised for 246 Dino's...as opposed to the 17 other marques Campy fit on w 56mm centers...😅  

And of course with the Ferrari pricing premium...

Edited by Tbone1209