• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ac Comp Bracket Bolts Through Water Pump

Conway

So I finished removing the ac from my 75 last night.  The ac bracket had two bolts that went through the water pump.  One of the bolts was actually a stud.  Do I need to worry about this?  I was just planning on tourqing the nut back down to spec.  There was no evidence of prior leaking in this area.

There was a third bolt that went through the bracket into the engine block just above the oil pan.  The bolt is 3"-3.5" long.  Do i need to put this bolt back in?  perhaps with a shorter bolt?  This bolt did not seem to be doing anything other than holding the bracket.  No oil or other fluids came pouring out when removed.  I was not able to get a good picture of the area.

Ryan

'75 Pastellblau "ol blue"

Do just what you say. Torque down the bolt/nut/stud that went through the water pump. If it's not leaking, don't worry about it, but while you're in the neighborhood, check the play at the pump shaft/bearing just to be thorough. No, the one at the base just goes into a blind threaded hole in the block. Don't worry about sealing it.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

You'll find it's a real PITA to reinstall the A/C bracket over the water pump...I did two things to lessen the pain:

1.  I ground just a mm or two of metal from one water pump boss that the bracket goes over and the bolt goes through.  Makes it easier to slide the A/C bracket over the pump without dislodging the water pump gasket

2.  I sawed off one of the arms on the A/C bracket that fastens to the water pump--did that back in 1986 or so, and the bracket hasn't fallen off yet, so the original octopus bracket must have been a bit of overkill.

Easiest solution, especially if you're converting to or already have a rotary compressor--get the bracket meant for the rotary compressor (someone on the board makes 'em) that allows you to tension the belt with the compressor itself (like the alternator) rather than using an idler pulley.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite