• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cr Steering Box Worm Gears

Hi,

I was searching in the FAQ of one old topic where there were some pictures showing how the worm gears look like. The stock worm gears vs. the close-ratio. But i can't find the pictures. Does anybody still have them?

If someone have or can make s blueprint of the worm gears it would be great too.

Me and a friend of mine can try to produce the worm gears. We have the needed equipement for this.

I know it's written before about this and i know that now there will be a lot of posts how it can't be done, etc, but we will give it a try. There is nothing impossible.

So i am going to need some more detailed specification about the material of the gears and of course if someone tried it i would be thankful for some useful advices.

If we have some success it will be good for all of us i guess.

Cheers.

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

There is nothing impossible.

That's the spirit!  I'll go look for the parts of the box I took apart a while ago...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I spent time researching and quoting having these made a while back. The 'worm' is a complex piece which isn't ground in a typical fashion; the best price I could get the worm/roller gear sets made was about $1,500 (fabricated in US). Add the cost of a steering box core, machining of the housing, assembly, bearings and seals, and it didn't make financial sense (for me) to proceed.

That all said, you ought give it a try. Fun project. -KB

...compared to a rack, which I could make on the Bridgeport for the effort of an afternoon's time and one hob...

Hadn't thought of THAT one before!  The steering box died because the machining costs got too high!

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL