• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying Hanging Wires

blastfamous
Go to solution Solved by bnam,

Ok, so I am trying to deal with all the dangling wires throughout the car.  I followed a handful of dangling wires under the dash and it let to the item in the pic above the steering column.   What was its purpose?

Also, just in front the of relays in the engine bay there is a little box with a three pronged plug that is just hanging unattached to anything.  What went there?

Thanks!

post-42728-0-31000400-1366924652_thumb.j

1974 2002

It's a '74 2002 base model. Yea it was me that was upside down with my head at the petals and my feet over the headrest when I took that pic.

But that definitely looks like that the item in question so I guess once upon a time the car did have A/C (it came with the non A/C console).

I may see if I can use that relay for the electric fan the PO wired because I didn't find a relay associated with the fan and when I attempted to ground the switch it blew a fuse. That's when I didn't see a relay for the fan.

Thanks for the responses!

1974 2002

hard to see all the wires and color coding - but i'd guess from what I can see it's the " hazard warning flasher unit " if you want conformation pull the relay down so we can actually see all the wires connected

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

• Solution

Nope, not the AC relay.  The AC relay wiring is not part of the harness.  I think this is the seatbelt relay.  I have this on my car as well, but have not identified the exact relay on the wiring diag yet.

This is the Heater Blower Relay -- confirmed it on the BEHR install manual.  Not sure if it was part of the AC install or some cars came with this Relay (it is not on the Wiring diag).

Byas

Edited by bnam

• 3 weeks later...

Heater blower relay makes a lot of sense.  My heater blower currently is inoperable and the fact that the wires from this relay are just dangling down and not connected at least is one (if not the) reason why my blower is not working.  Thx

1974 2002