• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB original paint air filter housing

Nicad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bob,

Coupeking has these, they are powder coated and color is a close match. They are grey, only early cars had a black air cleaner. Just bought one for the NK with single barrel carb.

Chris

Let's slow down a bit. I've never seen a U.S. '76 without a black air filter housing -- originally. And my '76 certainly came with a black housing. On the other hand, I'm pretty certain my '70 had a gray housing, and I think my '67 1600-2 (6-volt) might have had a black housing.

There was a thread on the U.K. club's forum some time back on this subject. And, indeed, I recognize that the U.K.-Euro market may have been different from the U.S. market. The gist of that thread seemed to be that 2-barrel carbs generally got black air filter housings, except when they got gray ones, and single-barrel carbs generally got gray air filter housings, except when they got black ones! It's kind of like the treatment of underhood stickers ("they went THIS way, unless they went another way"), or whether your steel rims were Lemmerz or Kronprinz ("they were Lemmerz, unless they happened to be Kronprinz")!

Here's a photo of my '76's housing in 1983, when it still bore the original finish (I have since had it powdercoated...black, to match the original).

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-99129300-1374254216_thumb.j

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve,

My post was meant to clarify which single barrel carb air cleaners were black vs. grey. My now sold Nov 68 US 2002 had a black air cleaner with the solid straps/clips to hold the cover. At some point they switched to grey, Mike Self will probably know. Also, my 69 NK 2000 built in June 1969 has a grey air cleaner, still with solid clips. I once owned a brand new 74 and it had a grey cleaner, two barrel obviously. I also owned a used 76 but I can't remember which color the air cleaner was. The two barrel cleaners air larger and use wire clips. Sound right?

Chris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Steve,

My post was meant to clarify which single barrel carb air cleaners were black vs. grey. My now sold Nov 68 US 2002 had a black air cleaner with the solid straps/clips to hold the cover. At some point they switched to grey, Mike Self will probably know. Also, my 69 NK 2000 built in June 1969 has a grey air cleaner, still with solid clips. I once owned a brand new 74 and it had a grey cleaner, two barrel obviously. I also owned a used 76 but I can't remember which color the air cleaner was. The two barrel cleaners air larger and use wire clips. Sound right?

Chris

Thanks, Chris,

We're on the same page!

Regards,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I want an original one in Grey/Green with the original paint in nice condition . Some Patina is to be expected. I could powder coat mine, but then it would standout against the rest of the finish on my car, which is original.

Ahh!

This finally clarifies why you're still looking 5 months later: few of our air filter housings got love and respect continuously for the last 40 years! You have a "too scruffy" example and you're looking to replace it with a 1-in-50 example! Seek and ye shall find!

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: You know, you could paint or powdercoat your existing housing, drop it on your driveway half a dozen times, snap the lid on and off a dozen times, and it might have a very authentic patina!

Edited by Conserv