• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front bumper bracket question

fast2002

I bought a front bumper for my 73 and it didn't come with the mounting brackets, I need to call the dealer and order them. My question is whether or not BMW made two types, one set that allowes the bumper to fit closer to body? I need some input on the type that fit closer and a part number. Thanks.

'73s came with the super-sturdy Y-shaped brackets, vs. earlier weaker J-brackets. Using the earlier ones might require creating new holes in the fenders for your bumper ends.

Poke through the bumper section (51 - vehicle trim) for different years/parts at: http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=P&series=114&body=Lim&arch=1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I read somewhere the J brackets will work?

The early euro "J" brackets will work and they are cheap but as noted it will change the relationship of the hole in your front fenders for the side piece. Not a big deal if youre going for paint i guess. The part numbers you want to ask your dealer for are

51111815494 those will pull it in like a 70

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

holes for the '73 Y brackets and the 68-72 J brackets are the same. The 73 brackets are bolted through the frame rails with 10mm bolts, and the earlier brackets are fastened to the frame rails with carriage bolts that fit into keyhole slots in the frame rail, but both mounts are on the same plane, so the hole in the nose panel is at the same height. Also, 73s have the keyhole slots in the frame rails; although they're not used on US spec cars they are on Euro cars and both use the same front frame rails.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite