fast2002

Front bumper bracket question

6 posts / 625 viewsLast Reply

I bought a front bumper for my 73 and it didn't come with the mounting brackets, I need to call the dealer and order them. My question is whether or not BMW made two types, one set that allowes the bumper to fit closer to body? I need some input on the type that fit closer and a part number. Thanks.

I read somewhere the J brackets will work?

The early euro "J" brackets will work and they are cheap but as noted it will change the relationship of the hole in your front fenders for the side piece. Not a big deal if youre going for paint i guess. The part numbers you want to ask your dealer for are

51111815494 those will pull it in like a 70

holes for the '73 Y brackets and the 68-72 J brackets are the same. The 73 brackets are bolted through the frame rails with 10mm bolts, and the earlier brackets are fastened to the frame rails with carriage bolts that fit into keyhole slots in the frame rail, but both mounts are on the same plane, so the hole in the nose panel is at the same height. Also, 73s have the keyhole slots in the frame rails; although they're not used on US spec cars they are on Euro cars and both use the same front frame rails.

mike