• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

battery relocation cable too short

02dag

I have an E30 cable kit, and I have installed this into my car. I havent got a battery box yet, but I am planning to buy the combined strut brace/battery holder from TEP. The cable is about the place where the positive on the battery will be, and this cable is not reaching more than 10 cm through the firewall. Should have had 15 cm more to have some more options regarding placing of the junction box. There is a lot of other stuff attached in that same area(brakes, wiring, steering column etc).

IMO the junction box should be placed in the engine bay, but this causes the obvious problems. battery under the seat is not an option.

Anyone have pictures of the placement of this junction box? Are there different sizes on the cables. Was the E30 battery under the seat afterall?

remember folks, DO NOT USE A WET CELL BATTERY in the trunk unless you use the kind that has provisions for a gas vent tube and that tube is run out of the trunk. batteries give off explosive gases when charging and the trunk is a sealed box to trap those gases.

use a sealed AGM battery instead. lighter too.

2xM3

i've got two installations under my belt. i go down the driver's side and up over the wheel well like the factory loom. i mount the junction box to the firewall above the brake booster. i do recall having to ensure that i didn't waste any length this latest install; but i made it work. i don't recall having to do that with my first install. therefore, it is possible that the lengths have some degree of variability...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

i've got two installations under my belt. i go down the driver's side and up over the wheel well like the factory loom. i mount the junction box to the firewall above the brake booster. i do recall having to ensure that i didn't waste any length this latest install; but i made it work. i don't recall having to do that with my first install. therefore, it is possible that the lengths have some degree of variability...

Driver side is the correct side... But you could just put a cool bat cut off or power block there and then extend it!

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

I had a similar issue; it works out okay if I have the battery mounted with the positive on the left side of the trunk as far as it goes, and then mount the distribution block right against the firewall. I routed it along the driver side under the seat. A bit shorter than I would like, but it will do. I will probably add a cutoff switch in the trunk which will extend the length enough to make it a non-issue.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

• 4 months later...