71bmr02

instrument cluster

7 posts / 779 viewsLast Reply

Has anyone installed or considered installing an alternative gage cluster in the 02 including reworking or installing a new gage surround? i realize the origional gage cluster is unique and classic, however I believe bmw could have installed a better looking cluster.

Gale H

I couldn't stand the wood grain look on my instrument cluster in my 74 tii. An easy fix is to move your cross hair gauges from your 74-76 cluster to an all black cluster used in a 71-73 02. My dash looks so much better now.

G-Man

You could also just paint the wood grain black.

On a related note: my instrument cluster ('74 tii) now doesn't light up. I checked the bulbs (all OK), I checked the fuse (OK), I even put in a brand new switch, but turning on the headlights still doesn't turn on the dash lights. I thought the old switch might have been corroded and the rheostat the problem, cut I can't seem to troubleshoot this. The indicator lights all work, only the dash lights themselves stay off. Any ideas?

ditto on the rheostat, , sometimes a turn or two of the knob will shake something lose. if that doesnt work, probably time to replace light switch.

back to the instrument cluster. i was thinking of completly reworking/redisging the whole unit to make it look more like that in a a later bmw or accura. more round than rectangular. any thoughts on this approach?

Gale H

Several have redone the cluster. I am one, also, who switched to the earlier type.

But I imagine that if you could cleanly cut the back of the box off completely, and then graft in a custom layout that just slips right back in, you could maybe pull it off OK.

Todd21 has a car that has a very tasteful custom kit in it, maybe he will ring in.

Hey guy,

Here's what I did to mine recently. I did a post on here a few month's back that covered what I did.

white-gauges.jpg

Barry