• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clean the filter in your Tii Fuel Pump !!

Orusty2

That's the one I have to clean everytime the pump is getting noisy. After cleaning the fuel tank and installing another filter between the tank and the pump, it seems to be working pretty well. I've had many problems with the fuel system. Now, three inches of "mud" inside the fuel tank removed, new fuel pump, new pre-pump filter, new fuel filter in the engine bay, and Kugel set up correctly. Engine runs smooth and idle is perfect when warm.

cheers

Vte :)

• 5 years later...

This thread goes back a ways, but it's great info, and really helped me today!

My Tii had been running great, but I noticed the last couple of days that it did not feel like it was at full power.  Yesterday it went sideways and was missing, bucking, and almost stalling at stops.  I barely made it back home; it gave up the ghost as I rolled into my parking spot!

After reading this and other great threads, I started at the fuel tank and checked the mesh in the sending unit - A-OK, and tank is nice'n clean:

IMG_0853.thumb.JPG.47e70d044b9dceb4de644d74b6703d67.JPG

I jacked up the back end and was having a delightful time (NOT) getting at the fuel pump assembly to check the conical filter.  Thank goodness I went back and read Orusty2's note that it's accessible without removing the pump!  Turns out the conical screen is missing.

I'll research a 12mm or 0.5" in-line filter and put it in front of the pump when I get a chance.

I went ahead and replaced the canister filter at the radiator.  Gas came out clean.

I hesitated to remove the KF banjo bolt at the input, but I found some back-up copper gaskets, so I pulled it - good thing, too!

This filter was packed with so much grit it was hard to get out.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.5e5662781445a5b92fecee6b8574b167.JPG

IMG_0869.thumb.JPG.be01deeb68f5e321bb175f6653126242.JPGIMG_0870.thumb.JPG.ee5f4be29fd7fdedf65625d43bf5f30c.JPG

There was this delicate little clip holding the screen in place... I had my finger on top of it and had hardly touched it with a jeweler's screwdriver and presto! that thing was gone!  Looked all over, never saw it again. Crap!

I had a piece of thin, springy steel laying that I've been kicking around in a toolbox for just such occasions.  I bent a piece of it and clicked it into place in the banjo bolt:

IMG_0871.thumb.JPG.66f72a0377f46b11e8c0d39d069c5eaf.JPG

I buttoned everything up, powered up the pump, checked all points where I worked for leaks.  The pump sounds smoother, like it's not straining anymore.  

I fired ol' Willem Tell up, and he ran like a champ! I took him for a nice hour-long romp along the lake and I still have some hesitation, but I believe I'm running lean, so that's a test for another day with my new Innovate LM-2 AFR meter!

So check those filters!

IMG_0871.JPG

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
  • Like 2

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

Actually, from W&N... exactly the same as the original.  However I ordered them about a year ago.  Mine is mounted next to the radiator with a circular clamp on a mounting bracket.

I just ordered this as an in-line filter ahead of the fuel pump, as I do not have the conical filter in place:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130977389359

Tom

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
  • Like 1

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)