• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Job Checklist Suggestions??

pminasi

I am having a complete paint job done (glass out etc).

Can anyone offer exactly what I should make sure the body shop does in regards to old paint removal, primer, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. The folks I am using are really good - had work done there on other cars, but we all know how special the 02 is:)

1974 - 02 - Amazon Green "Ms. Agnes"

2000 - 328Ci - Steel Grey "Bucephalus"

Not sure how to answer that question but here are some thoughts:

What year is your car and what color (1974 Amazon Green)? There are differences on how the "grill" area is finished.

I know we say to let the body shop work with the products they are comfortable with, but have a conversation with the body shop about using House of Kolor clear.

One thing to consider is have the shutz cover the lips of fenders. These areas take a beating.

wheelwell1.jpg

Have them mask off the VIN on the inner fender. Not sure if that area is bare metal or primer. It should not be body color.

Seam sealer should be applied where you can.

3-185.jpg

3-183.jpg

3-182-1.jpg

3-1821-1.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Nothing silly about anything he does! I borrowed his suspension rehab when I did mine. There is an abnormal amount of talent on the east coast. I am such a hack.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Nice pics and thanks for the sealer note.

The car is a 1974, Amazon Green. What I am most worried about is that the nose ends up correct, and that the car is prepped correctly for paint.

I am going to be giving them new front and rear windshield seals, door seals, rear window seals, tail light assemblies, door lock/handle gaskets, rear mirror gasket, a couple of new pieces of belt trim and lower trim as well. All OEM.

I assume they are going to sand the car down prior to paint, but I don't think it will be back to bare metal.

P

1974 - 02 - Amazon Green "Ms. Agnes"

2000 - 328Ci - Steel Grey "Bucephalus"

This is the time to reroute your rear drain tubes if you have a sun roof and if you are so inclined, reinforce your front end between the firewall and inner fenders. Plus reinforce your left motor mount.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5