• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Saga of Stanley, my 1972 2002

morgieporgie

I've been meaning to post on here for a while, but somehow keep managing to put it off. However, I am currently laid up due to ankle surgery, so what better time than now to post about Stanley, my '72 2002.

When I was 16 I bought my first car. I didn't really have a special car in mind, but one of my dad's coworkers mentioned he was selling his old, yellow BMW. My dad, thinking only of the safety and social status of his daughter, thought that this would be the perfect car for me. I ended up buying it, much to my mother's chagrin, but I was TERRIFIED to drive it. I spent all year, and all of my hard-earned savings, buying new parts and watching my dad fix various issues I pretty much did nothing, and I was fine with that. I quickly got over my fear of driving it, and became the friend that ALWAYS drove, which was awesome! The following summer I blew a piston through the side of the engine. Rather than selling or scrapping the car, now affectionately dubbed Stanley, I chose to spend the rest of my money buying and installing a new engine.

NewBMW3.jpg

I was young and stupid, but I loved that car. I went to college about 2 hours away, and after several breakdowns that left me stranded, and one in particular that happened in the middle of 395 in rush hour, my parents decided they would sell my beloved Stanley and get me a reliable vehicle. I was devastated, and thought for sure I'd never see Stanley again.

To make a super long story slightly shorted (the full story is on Stanley's blog), this past September I was browsing Craigslist for a 2002 when I saw this little gem. A 1972, painted grey/blue, that had obviously been yellow at some point in the past. I called the seller, and asked, "does it have a metal faceplate on the center console?" He said yes, and I set up a time to visit. My dad had rebuilt my center console with a metal face to accommodate my radio, but I still thought it may just be a transplant. However, when I went to see the car, I found a workshop manual in the trunk and a pile of receipts with my dad's name on them. It WAS Stanley! I bought her on the spot, making me the 3rd and 6th owner.

First look, from the CList ad:

FrontLside.jpg

So happy to bring her home!

happy.jpg

Center console and my favorite place

wheel.jpg

I have hit many snags in Stanley's resurrection, many of which have led me to decide that I want to do a complete rebuild, rather than just get her back on the road. The amount of rust in the car is horrendous. I've pulled the doors, hood, trunk, front quarter panels, nose, gas tank, and complete interior. I've ground down most of the rear, including copious amounts of bondo. The rear subframe was pulled because the left side was being held on by U-bolts. However, other than the shifter needing a rebuild and the engine needing a tune-up, it's mechanically in great shape. The rebuilt engine still only has about 8,000 miles on it! My main goal is to bring Stanley back to her former glory, and make her more perfect than I remember.

To start off the build thread, I'll post what I've done so far:

Subframe out, with much prodding and cussing

subframe_zps0a79c482.jpg

Fenders and doors off, more rust found

side_zpsdc7322fa.jpg

The back ground and primed, only a little rust!

back_zpsa31cc7bc.jpg

With the nose

front_zpse0e9013f.jpg

Without the nose

554330_10100931961254226_861551266_n_zps16b26245.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to get some work done soon, even on crutches. The honeymoon phase has passed, but only slightly. I still look at it and can't believe I found my car again! I don't car how much money it costs, or how long it takes... Stanley is worth it.

Morgan

Proud re-owner of a 1972 2002.

Follow my build at Stanley's Blog.

Nice story! Looks like you'll be busy!

I know there is a good community of like-minded '02 nuts not far from you. Lean on them if you want!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks everyone! I'm so sad I didn't know about this forum the first time 'round.

Marshall, I can't believe I didn't know there were so many 2002 fanatics around here! I'm in Arlington (fixed that on my profile, oops). My blog is http://new-old-car.blogspot.com/. I think I've added it to my signature, which I completely forgot to do earlier, thanks to the slight drug induced haze I'm in. I'm going to aim to update it at least weekly.

Morgan

there are a couple dozen 02'ers in the immediate D/M/V area around you. there actually seem to about about a half dozen new "pop ups" in the area in the last few months. watch the mid-atlantic area of this forum for info on gatherings. we should be having one in the spring.

time to go check out your blog link..

2xM3

Welcome back Morgan. I viewed your blog and see you've done quite a bit of work on Stanley - way more than I would attempt regarding bodywork.

Hope you decide to keep the car golf yellow.

Lots of good folks around here..

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Wow, the rear subframe rust is highly disconcerting. I might have considered sourcing a "rust-free" shell, but I think I can understand the sentimental attachment.

GL,

Ray

Jeepers! Another Arlingtonian doing car repairs in a residential neighborhood. Somebody call the community gestapo ;-)

As Marshall says, there are a growing bunch of 2002 owners in the DC area. Three years ago, one of the locals had a get together and 38 owners showed up. It appears that number has grown since then. You're in good company, and local help is usually a post/email/phone call away.

I plan to host an 02 spring fling in late April/early May at my home in Clinton, Maryland. It'll be far more organized than the get together I hosted last fall, which had to be rescheduled due to a power outage in the area. You won't need to arrive in an 02 to participate. In fact, I think I've only driven my 02 to 2 of the 10 or so events I've attended, as my car is perpetually in the process of being modified, tuned, or serviced.

Best of luck with Stanley. If you're looking for parts, let us know. The local gang includes several hoarders who are always looking to reduce inventory to justify buying more.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

My neighbors are actually really into Stanley, surprisingly enough! I guess they remember her from when I was in high school. Not sure how they feel about the yelling, banging, and whine of the grinder...

That sounds really fun, actually! I'm sure Stanley won't be finished by April/May, but to see even a few other member's actually running 2002s would be tremendous motivation. I will definitely put feelers out when it comes to parts. I know I've seen a couple posts from people around here who have a TON of stuff! It's hard to remember that Stanley is still fairly new to me again, and I am not sure what I need yet.

Marshall - I'll keep my eye on the Mid-Atlantic page. My dad is already talking about going to any sort of gathering of BMW enthusiasts, and it's not even his car!

Jim - Thanks, it's a huge task, and slow going. And yes, definitely keeping it golf.

Ray - I have thought about getting a rust free shell, but I think I've decided against it. There really is just too much sentimental value with this one.

Morgan

And don't forget: http://atthevintage.com/

GL,

My neighbors are actually really into Stanley, surprisingly enough! I guess they remember her from when I was in high school. Not sure how they feel about the yelling, banging, and whine of the grinder...

That sounds really fun, actually! I'm sure Stanley won't be finished by April/May, but to see even a few other member's actually running 2002s would be tremendous motivation. I will definitely put feelers out when it comes to parts. I know I've seen a couple posts from people around here who have a TON of stuff! It's hard to remember that Stanley is still fairly new to me again, and I am not sure what I need yet.

Marshall - I'll keep my eye on the Mid-Atlantic page. My dad is already talking about going to any sort of gathering of BMW enthusiasts, and it's not even his car!

Jim - Thanks, it's a huge task, and slow going. And yes, definitely keeping it golf.

Ray - I have thought about getting a rust free shell, but I think I've decided against it. There really is just too much sentimental value with this one.

Ray

I do believe I will be going! My sister lives in Chapel Hill, so hey, free lodging too. I mentioned it to my dad, who basically reacted like a kid being offered a trip to Disney World. So yeah, pretty sure we're going, haha!

Quick update. I've been able to get only a little work done, mostly just grinding rust and removing the glass and such from both doors. I believe I will be in search of a less rusty driver's door, as mine is pretty disgusting. The passenger door is perfect, thankfully, as it's only 10 yrs old.

Small portion of the rust on the door.

ddoorside2_zps9e697e72.jpg

Carnage from my haste to remove the left fender, plus rust.

infenderL1_zps79b15667.jpg

Left side of nose, before grinding and primer.

noseL_zps29c00087.jpg

Right side, after grinding and primer.

noseR_zps5b5ee314.jpg

I also started PlastiDipping the back just for a little more protection over the primer, since it's a little exposed to the elements.

rear_zpsaa87009d.jpg

I can not wait to tackle this:

rusty_zps493a7730.jpg

And this:

passunder_zps811e6ecb.jpg

Morgan