• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber DGV filter/ hood clearance issue

mattcshark

Been running a Weber 32/36 DGV for many years on my 75 2002.

I've been very happy with it. I've always been not so thrilled with the fact that you need to run the short Weber filter with it or you have hood clearance issues. I just finished machining out a second intake manifold to properly fit the carb without a spacer. Now I've been told you need to run a spacer to prevent fuel boiling and vapor lock issues. If that's true, has anyone tried shaving the flange down on the intake manifold by say 3/8" to achieve more clearance?

The downdraft Cannon manifold sits the carb a little lower and allows for the clearance of the taller filter.

I've machined the stock intake to perfectly fit a 32/36 or a 38/38. There seems to be enough thread on the stud holes to mill off some material. Just wondering if the spacer/insulator is a must or not. Unlike the Canon, I left the ports seperated. Is there an advantage to the open flange of the Canon?

I wanted to use the stock air cleaner for a number of reasons (more filter service area, cooler intake air, etc), but found that the adapter that goes between the stock air cleaner and the carb would not allow the air cleaner to clear the hood.

I then spent 15-20 minutes with tinsnips and a Dremel tool to modify the air cleaner can so it would mate with the Weber carb. I made a gasket from some closed cell foam to seal the joint--it's been working just fine now for 31 years! And it easily clears the hood.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite