• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

smog wire loom and weber 32/36 water choke

repoman

Just need some confirmation. I researched that the smog wire loom still needs to go to the + coil and the #12 fuse, however, do I still need the wire that hooks up to the solenoid/sensor on the Weber carb (see pic)? The 02 in question is a 1973 with a stock black coil and weber 32/36. TIA

post-16675-1366766815014_thumb.jpg

post-16675-13667668151289_thumb.jpg

post-16675-13667668152164_thumb.jpg

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

That solenoid on the Weber is an electric idle solenoid. If you do not leave the +12V attached, your car will not run. It is not part of any smog wiring that I know of. More of a safety item than a smog part.

This one was hooked up from the smog loom. Maybe I just need to run another wire from the fuse box to it.....

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS

Yea, you could do that. Just go from the same connection on the fuse box. You could also keep that wiring, just cut the rest of the smog loom out.

OK, I suppose I can split this one off from fuse #12 and run it to the coil also, since it is already doing that now. Thanks!

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS

the car's main wiring harness...no cutting needed. Just trace the pieces back to where they plug into the car's harness and remove intact, along with all the relays and vacuum switches on the firewall.

And there is a stray black wire near the carb that's hot with the ign on--wasn't used on US spec cars--that's part of the main wiring harness and is just what you need for that Weber idle solenoid...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

the car's main wiring harness...no cutting needed. Just trace the pieces back to where they plug into the car's harness and remove intact, along with all the relays and vacuum switches on the firewall.

And there is a stray black wire near the carb that's hot with the ign on--wasn't used on US spec cars--that's part of the main wiring harness and is just what you need for that Weber idle solenoid...

cheers

mike

I do know the wiring harness is separate, however, are you stating that I can remove the entire smog loom and do NOT have to hook up the wire that goes to the "+" coil? If that is true, then I will look for the other wire that you speak of to hook up the solenoid on the weber. Just need to confirm. Thanks!

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS

cheers

mike

I do know the wiring harness is separate, however, are you stating that I can remove the entire smog loom and do NOT have to hook up the wire that goes to the "+" coil? If that is true, then I will look for the other wire that you speak of to hook up the solenoid on the weber. Just need to confirm. Thanks!

You can remove the entire smog wiring harness, in your case you will need to run a wire from your fusebox to the idle solenoid and a wire to your coil. If your car doesn't have a resistor (and the coil hasn't been replaced with a blue one) you should take apart the harness and get the resistor wire out and use that for your coil, a regular old piece of green wire will work for the idle solenoid.

74 Golf

You can remove the entire smog wiring harness, in your case you will need to run a wire from your fusebox to the idle solenoid and a wire to your coil. If your car doesn't have a resistor (and the coil hasn't been replaced with a blue one) you should take apart the harness and get the resistor wire out and use that for your coil, a regular old piece of green wire will work for the idle solenoid.

Thanks for clarifying and to everyone for their assistance!

It does have the external resistor (white thing next to the coil?), so I will keep the wire going from fuse #12 to the "+" coil and look for the unused hot wire coming off the main harness to hook up the idle solenoid on the carb. If that wire has been cut, then run another one from the fusebox.

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS