• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hazard switch removal

mosman58

did you remove the console face so that you can see the back of the switch, radio and any other stuff that you have in the consoles face...if not do so...here is a thumb nut on top of a very thin wave washer, finger tight that holds the flasher in the panel

2cy82v.jpg

15o9f92.jpg

post a pic if your switch is not like the one i've shown...

• 3 years later...

I was looking for this thread forever, as I had the same muscleman put mine on. Thanks!

By the way, if you are looking to take the thing apart to fix it, I was able to carefully insert a thin/cheap steak knife in between the top part as a shim, and then slide it over to the next locked bit until I had enough of those little locking pieces cleared out enough to pull the two pieces apart.

I fixed the metal contact that wasn't sliding into place by using a toothpick fixed in place with electrical tape. I trimmed the top of the toothpick off that was sticking out over the metal piece.

I was looking for this thread forever, as I had the same muscleman put mine on. Thanks!

By the way, if you are looking to take the thing apart to fix it, I was able to carefully insert a thin/cheap steak knife in between the top part as a shim, and then slide it over to the next locked bit until I had enough of those little locking pieces cleared out enough to pull the two pieces apart.

I fixed the metal contact that wasn't sliding into place by using a toothpick fixed in place with electrical tape. I trimmed the top of the toothpick off that was sticking out over the metal piece.

This deserves a picture

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I didn't take pics while doing this, but luckily someone else took pics I could use to illustrate what I did. Thanks to them.

I just want to show what the plastic nut and washer look like when the switch is affixed to your console:

IMG 3259

Now, once you have the switch removed, you need to separate the two halves, which can be more difficult than getting the switch out of the console. 

IMG 3256

I carefully used a thin/cheap steak knife to get in between the top half to shim over each tab until i got enough of them free to pull the two pieces of the switch apart.  

IMG 3255

This is what it looks like with the halves removed and the button still in place. The long metal piece we will be dealing with is in the center of this photo.

IMG 3252

Another view:

IMG 3253

Once the button is out of the way here is what it looks like:

IMG 3251

The problem is that the long metal piece that is causing the hazard light circuit to actuate is not staying in track. Some people will bend it back towards the track. I didn't want to break the thing. Here's what it looks like with the track:

IMG 3252

What I did was to take a skinny toothpick (or a round fat toothpick split in half) and stick it behind the metal piece as a brace. I didn't want it to move, so I tightly wrapped a couple layers of electrical tape around the area of the toothpick that would be sticking out of the case, and affixed it to the two plastic prongs next to the metal piece.

IMG 3258

When wrapping the toothpick with the tape, create a short flag of tape on one side that you can then tape over to the adjacent plastic prongs. Then put one longer piece of tape over the toothpick and both plastic prongs to anchor it.

The fist time I did this, I used too much tape and it was too fat, which jammed the button. I reopened the switch and used less tape and it worked.

Edited by sanman2002

• 2 years later...

Gonna try and save the switch on my '69 1600. It won't come out unless all wires are removed.

It's mounted vertically and the dash is in the way so I can't get a good look at what wires go where.

Anyone have a good picture or detailed diagram?

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

2 hours ago, TVeye said:

Gonna try and save the switch on my '69 1600. It won't come out unless all wires are removed.

It's mounted vertically and the dash is in the way so I can't get a good look at what wires go where.

Anyone have a good picture or detailed diagram?

Remove the red center knob with post from the switch- simply unscrew. The black escutcheon is then removed from the top to allow the switch to drop out of the hole. You can then see the many wires.

Also, the tip of the red knob unscrews to reveal the tiny bulb which flashes.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"