ATLBMW

Three pictures, three questions

7 posts / 988 viewsLast Reply

Recently bought 1976 model:

Picture 1: What is the threaded hole in my motor, and should I seal it off? In the picture, it is above the dipstick, as an elbow joint, sort of where it looks like the red battery cable ends at (the cable goes under).

Picture 2: I think this is part of the emissions system (the rusty black canister), and while it looks like the gas fumes would go in, the hard line out (center of the canister) is not connected so I assume it is serving no purpose? From reading other posts, it looks like this is a carbon canister to clean the fumes?

Picture 3: Below the fuel filter there are two metal connectors on what looks almost like a spark plug (though I know it is not) - nothing is connected to it -should something be? Hard to see in the picture, but it is on top of the engine looking down, not far from the windshield.

Thanks in advance!

post-22859-13667667622675_thumb.jpg

post-22859-13667667624935_thumb.jpg

post-22859-13667667627047_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I am guessing you dont live in California? All these parts are smog related and are needed for 76 Cali cars, pic one is the egr inlet to your intake manifold, would guess its already plugged as car wouldnt run if left open. second pic is the carbon canister, the missing hose would hook up under your air cleaner. 3 is a temp switch that controls smog eqwip to shut off when warmed up. Is your car running?

Dave Miller

All three were parts of the emission systems on the car. #1 was , I believe, a part of the EGR. #2 is the charcoal filter. #3 is an intake manifold heat sensor. G

I am guessing you dont live in California? All these parts are smog related and are needed for 76 Cali cars, pic one is the egr inlet to your intake manifold, would guess its already plugged as car wouldnt run if left open. second pic is the carbon canister, the missing hose would hook up under your air cleaner. 3 is a temp switch that controls smog eqwip to shut off when warmed up. Is your car running?

Dave Miller

Car runs fine, so I suppose that hole is already plugged behind the threaded hole I can feel?

Okay to remove the carbon canister completely, and if so, where should I route that hose going in?

I live in Georgia, and cars older than 25 years no longer need to have emissions inspected.

Here's a pic of the 2002faq block-off plate I linked above and the photo shows how you need to connect the dip stick tube brace to the intake manifold with an M6 x 16+/- bolt. You can also put M6 x 12 bolts in the top two holes so you don't just look like something is missing from your car.

Bob Napier

post-22859-13667667629935_thumb.jpg

post-144-13667667671987_thumb.jpg

That plate looks nice, I got a big allen screw blocking that thing off.