• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 45 tuning help.

Dejammey

I have a 1976 BMW 2002 with two DCOE Weber 45s a stock head with a reground cam(I have no idea what the cam was ground to) and a performance exhaust header. All of this was installed before I was the owner of the car. I just installed a Petraunix points system in the car an did the timing and a valve job. 

So far the car is running rich in my opinion. She starts good drives ok but when you get on it she bogs down. My spark plugs are black on the tips and not brownish as they should be. When I ride on the highway she does good up to around 55-60 but after that I really feel that she is flooding herself with too much gas and my power drops off. Also my MPG is very bad. Not 100% how bad I just know I am going threw some gas. 

What I have in the 45s now. I checked and made sure all these numbers are the same for both carbs. 

Main Jet 140

Air Jet 180

Idle Jet 45F8

Main Venturi 34

Emulsion Tube F16

I was reading BMW 02 Restoration Guide and they recommended. http://midlifeclassiccars.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=33bdca9b-f204-44dd-a8d8-a44f758df135

Main Jet 125

Air Jet 180

Idle Jet 45F8

Main Venturi 34

Emulsion Tube F9

Should I make changes to on the main jet and the Emulsion tube?

Thanks for any help guys.

A 140 main seems mighty rich. 125 would be a lot more like it.

While you might also find that changing your emulsion tube will help things a bit, make one change at a time.

Installing a wide-band O2 sensor will make your life much, much easier for dialing in your carbs.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Check your float level first, if you have brass floats they should be 8.2-8.5mm if they are plastic try 12.5mm. Start by changing the main jets to the 125. You might need to go as rich as 130 and you might want a larger Air corrector but start with the main jets. The difference between the F9 and F16 E tubes is very small (the F9 tends to richen a bit at the top and the F16 is more even in mixture bottom to top). Start there. Are you running velocity stacks inside the air cleaners? If not you should.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

One thing to add- fuel pressure?

It should be in the 2 psi range.

Even if you have a mechanical pump,

it's well worth checking.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL