• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Memphis

bills2002

My name is Bill and I have a problem with 02's. I moved from Memphis to Birmingham 7 years ago and while there was terminally infected with the 2002 virus. While having up to three at one time I believe the disease is somewhat in remission. I moved back to Memphis this summer and am now down to the 02 I will take to my grave and a strange little e28 which is my daughter's driver. I believe the disease will remain in check due to the outstanding assistance I receive from the city of Germantown.

Alabama was an enabling state, they didn't care how many rusty euro cars were strewn about my property, in fact it was quite the status symbol to have a BMW on blocks in your front yard. But Germantown, let me tell you, I had a perfectly good 02 in the driveway without tags, and the seat removed for reupholstery. Within 10 days of moving I had a letter from the city telling me to put it in the garage or they were going to have to tow away the"eyesore". Nope, no more projects on the horizon for me.

Anyway, I would like to hear from faq'ers in the area.

Hobibill AT g mail DoT c o m

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Sorry to hear about your Memphis Blues Bill. What about if you put a cover over the car (in the driveway)?

My homeowner's association just changed the rules saying you could not have ANY vehicles parked in the public areas (even your driveway) in non-running condition (derelict) and that you could not have more than 1 vehicle parked in the common areas in our townhouse community. These rule changes are most likely aimed directly at my friend up the street who owns a bunch of E30's (most are M3's) - all are licensed/tagged. I worry that parking my non-registered '69 in the garage will spark controversy when the door is open.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I worry that parking my non-registered '69 in the garage will spark controversy when the door is open.

Funny. Yeah there is a Corvette under cover in a driveway around the corner. I am told it hasn't moved in years. Oh well.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Ridiculous isn't it? A friend of mine in the city (town actually - you can buy beer in a city) of Conway, where my shop is located had his Miata in the driveway removing the interior for race preparation. He went into the house for some lunch and when he came back out there was a warning citation on his windshield threatening him he would be subject to fines and possible removal of the car. The car had current tag, registration, and insurance. In fact, it had only been out of the garage an hour or so. This in front of his home which he has owned over 20 years!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Bill ,

Good to hear that you are settled in Memphis. Looking forward to ribs again.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

We just moved to Roseville, ca from the bay area and I've been hit with the same reality. We can only park running vehicles in our garage, we can't park in the street for more than 2 days, and we are not allowed to wash or work on our cars or motorcycles... I understand wanting to keep the area nice, but I think it's a bit extreme here. Luckily we decided to rent and not buy!

I had a 69 delivered here by trailer a couple weeks ago and it brought out 3 neighbors... None said hi, they just stood out and watched.