• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on painting my engine bay

Hey guys, I'm painting my engine bay pretty soon and need some help. I have the engine out and will be bringing everything down to bare metal soon (as good as I can at least, there will be a few places that I wont be able to get to). I'm looking for some sort of durable black paint that can withstand the temperatures in there and wont chip off. Almost like truck bedliner paint, but I don't want to use that. It doesn't need to look perfect, and I would prefer if it came in spray cans or can be brushed on. Any ideas?

Esty... For appliance epoxy, what brand? And what primer, if any? Any tips about number of coats or how heavy to apply it?

I've gotten that same advice, from others, on suspension parts paint... Appliance epoxy. I used rustoleum's appliance epoxy, didn't find it to be so great. E.g. Vs. rattle can eastwoods chassis paint it doesn't seem nearly as tough for my application, but. Suck at painting, maybe it's just a bit trickier to get it right?

Mark

----------------

Mark

Rusty 74 verona

WTB a roundie!

Just curious, is there a reason you're painting the engine bay a different color from the car?

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Just curious, is there a reason you're painting the engine bay a different color from the car?

There are a few reasons. Mainly just because I like the look of a black engine bay, personal preference. Also, I'm so far off from actually painting the rest of my car and haven't decided on a color yet. I plan to have the engine back together and in the car with the 5-speed swap running right as soon as I can, and then I'll focus on all the other things that I still need to finish.

Its funny this thread came up. Im doing the same thing as we speak. I have taken the engine bay down to bare metal and I am going to POR 15 it. Im to cheap to have it painted the correct color and I dont have the time to wait and find paint, buy a sprayer/have it sprayed. I figure POR 15 makes the most sense because its not rattle can and it serves a purpose unlike cheap spray paint. At least I can justify painting the engine bay black this way. And if I ever hit the lotto I can always paint on top of the POR 15.

Id be interested to know why its a bad idea to POR 15 on bare metal? Seems like a perfect place for the product...

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

Its funny this thread came up. Im doing the same thing as we speak. I have taken the engine bay down to bare metal and I am going to POR 15 it. Im to cheap to have it painted the correct color and I dont have the time to wait and find paint, buy a sprayer/have it sprayed. I figure POR 15 makes the most sense because its not rattle can and it serves a purpose unlike cheap spray paint. At least I can justify painting the engine bay black this way. And if I ever hit the lotto I can always paint on top of the POR 15.

Id be interested to know why its a bad idea to POR 15 on bare metal? Seems like a perfect place for the product...

I've just heard that the preparation has to be PERFECT for POR-15 to work correctly. Since I still have a lot of my wiring in tact and the whole booster/master cylinder stuff is still there, it would be hard for me to do a perfect prep job (although I plan on removing most of that stuff when prep time comes). From what I gather though, the POR-15 Chassis stuff is different from the regular product, it's not necessarily a rust inhibitor, it's just a durable paint perfect for chassis/suspension/engine parts and requires just normal prep that you would do for any paint.

I've just heard that the preparation has to be PERFECT for POR-15 to work correctly. Since I still have a lot of my wiring in tact and the whole booster/master cylinder stuff is still there, it would be hard for me to do a perfect prep job (although I plan on removing most of that stuff when prep time comes). From what I gather though, the POR-15 Chassis stuff is different from the regular product, it's not necessarily a rust inhibitor, it's just a durable paint perfect for chassis/suspension/engine parts and requires just normal prep that you would do for any paint.

If you are down to bare metal with the engine out i wouldnt waste the opportunity to epoxy primer and then topcoat with the same color as you are painting the exterior. IMHO the overall effect of a matching engine bay and body color cant be beat - it shows the thoroughness of the restoration/rebuild

Never really been interested in an accurate restoration. I love my car and iv modified it to my liking. I would love to prime and paint it the color of the car but to be completely honest, Id rather spend the money elsewhere... Por 15 should look good, last forever, and keep it from rusting. Anyway, I'm building it for me and not the next guy. Respect your opinion though...

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!