• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii ground point

No answer to my last post, so let my try to make this simpler. At the base of the throttle body support bracket, there are two holes. One is to mount to the block. I believe the other hole is where the ground strap from the battery goes. Can other tii owners (Jim, Bill, Paul, etc.) confirm this? Thanks.

FAQ Member #126

Sorry Andy. I'm not sure exactly where the ground wire is supposed to attach. My car has it under one of the starter support studs (throttle body bracket). Some have it fastened directly to the engine block.

Edit -see Keith Kreeger's website here down in this section for the braided strap. Looks like he fastened it under the large bolt that hold the starter/throttle body to the block.

http://www.my2002tii.com/2005-12/engine/index.htm

My old ground strap isn't long enough to reach the block. A brand new braided one with 2-leads also will not reach.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The ground strap attaches to the "forward" bolt on the throttle body bracket. I just had my starter rebuilt, so it's fresh in my mind. Be sure to have a good ground there...no grease, paint on the bracket, etc. and all will be well!

HTH,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Sorry Andy, I missed the last post. But to say yes to the others post, the forward hole is the ground. Be sure to use the correct length of bolt. It is real short. Just long enough to go through the bracket.

Too long of a bracket and you will not be able to tighten it down properly.

If you need the length of the bolt, let me know and I will look it up.

This is the primary block ground point.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thanks Bill. I have the original bolt which was replated, and of course the welded in nut is still in place on the back side. When I started my "refresh" I noted the one bolt that holds it to the block was broken off. It was a real bear to drill out, and now I've replaced the bolt with a big 10.9.

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126