• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty Rotors

I have a 74 2002 manual tranny. I sort of got out of order on my rebuilding list and did the brakes first, then the suspension and Ignition. Off and on, I spent a year doing the work while it was up on jackstands. I know, the worst thing to do to an 02 is let it sit. So now I've got it back going (even the handbrake works perfectly), and the braking system overall works well. No noise from the center bearing, either. But when I pulled the front wheels off, I noticed that the front discs had a good coating of rust on them. They were new discs (and calipers and pads and hoses) a year ago, and I flushed the system about a year ago as well. The front brakes still stop the wheels okay, but my question is: is it okay to just let the friction of the new pads on the rotors wear the rust off as I drive, or should I try to clean the rust back down to shiny metal, which I know would be difficult, possibly involving removing the discs. Hopefully not having to actually replace them! Scratching with my fingernail through the rust, it does not seem to have pitted the friction surface. As always, thanks a lot for your help.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

I say just drive it. A light surface coating of ferrous oxide will not hurt anything. Heck, when I wash my Audi in the evening, the next morning the rotors are orange. The first application of brakes takes care of it.

MFB

73 tii

Rotors have exposed metal where they meet the pad. They rust if not used for a while. Just go out and drive it normally. When you get back the rust should be gone. If it isn't, just brake harder/more. Unless the brakes shutter or stop unevenly, you are fine the way you are and the rotors will go back to normal.

1976 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

2002 Topaz Blue BMW M3 Convertible

Take it for a long drive and brake normally. When you get home look at your reflection on the rotors. Oil and rotors don't mix, nor does grease, although I'm sure you figured out they were only kidding.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Take it for a long drive and brake normally. When you get home look at your reflection on the rotors. Oil and rotors don't mix, nor does grease, although I'm sure you figured out they were only kidding.

Thanks. At first I figured that was probably the answer; just wanted a little confirmation.

But maybe I'll speed up the process by soaking the pads in PBlaster so they'll scrub the rust off really good!

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

Or pull the pads back a bit and stuff some steel wool in there! :) - Ok I'll stop.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)