• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sahara Beige is Ugly

e21bob

Kris, do you have any additional photos of your Sahara with the gold BBS inserts? I have the same color and same wheels but with silver inserts and have considered painting them gold, just have not done it.

Any photos would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lach

All comes down to condition.

John

DSC_0071-2.jpg

Ok, totally strange...In this pic you see three Sahara 2002's and an orange 2002 with the missing front bumper...That is my Wife Mary's 74 2002 at the hotel during V@V two years ago..It WAS Sahara before it was painted Porsche Signal orange....Too funny!!!! Also, I have fond memries of my '73 Sahara 2002. I LOVE Sahara on the Roundie cars, not so much on the late cars..

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

Kris, do you have any additional photos of your Sahara with the gold BBS inserts? I have the same color and same wheels but with silver inserts and have considered painting them gold, just have not done it.

Thanks,

Lach

Hey Lach

The shell and the wheels haven't been too close lately but I will try to snap some pics.

Cheers

Kris

70 M2 2.5L 

Thanks,

Lach

Here are a couple hot off the presses

BBS-two-M.jpg

M2-BBSn-M.jpg

70 M2 2.5L 

Sahara was actually one of my top color choices, I find it classy and vintage. Plus I was specifically looking for an automatic, so my challenge was literally to find a drivable undesirable in a category of undesirables.

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

What a bold and polarizing statement. You sure have brought out the Sahara lovers. Sahara is not on the top of my list of favorite '02 colors, but as beige/tan colors go it is a rather nice one. Consider the alternatives....

Mercedes Colorado Beige: one of the "skin tone" Mercedes beige's from the '70s.

66924d1239946775-bringing-my-friends-1976-300d-back-dead-img_9813.jpg

470_coloradobeige.jpg

You should be happy that Sahara isn't German Taxi beige:

4601.jpg

4133640192_77c06b9f6e.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

4277090038_e9e04f0c56_b.jpg

BUT, it is and always has been my opinion that in the right condition and or with the right set of wheels nearly any color can look good:

4081661431_97b6786f75_z.jpg

1985_Mercedes_Benz_W123_230E_Euro_Sedan_Taxi_resize.jpg

Your Sahara Beige '02 only looks "ugly" right now because it's in a very worn out state. As many others have shown here, Sahara looks good if in very nice condition and with the right set of wheels.

Now for my opinion on color changes... Chancing away from the factory color on any car is a dangerous proposition. If you do not pick a widely acceptable other color and or do a poor incomplete job that will show the original in tucked away but visible spots and or chip away to the original... it'll look cheap and ugly. Providing pictorial evidence to the next owner is also important. As for choice of color, I recommend starting with the other period correct colors available on '02s or other BMWs when your car was new. Say you were to order that car new and had your choice of the colors available, pick the one you would have chosen then.

If you want to pick a color from another era or make of car then be VERY careful of your choice. Some people have a great innate sense of style and color while others do not, know what type you are before finalizing your choice. If not skilled in this, ask for help of others.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20