• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a typical place for rust?

austinmf

8 months after a deer accident...finally pulled the fender.

My rust free car...

Is this a typical rust place?

I am going to have to pull the other fender and ruin my factory leading....

post-20302-13667657875481_thumb.jpg

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Yes...truly rust free '02s and E9s are mythical creatures. Unless the car was driven from the production line to a museum, even then, the E9 would have rust somewhere.

To answer the what is leading post.

The fender joint above the side grills near the turn signal is filled with metal referred to as 'leading' to eliminate the small seam. This was done on the production line at the factory before paint. the fender nose seam below the grills was not filled. This detail is often overlooked on restored cars or cars with nose or fender replacements.

Don't sweat it re-lead it...couldn't resist the pun.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

austinmf: My rust free car...

Austin, thought your car had many rust issues. We talked about being in the same boat; thought mine was rust free and I got this:

0323121630a.jpg

But yes, to answer your question, water splashes up in there from the wheel. That part doesn't even exist on my '76 anymore...and I think it's part of the body structure from looking at a post of C.D.'s of the 2002 body structure. Yours doesn't appear to be too bad. Good luck!

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

C.D. Sorry for the Noob question but what book did you get thoes instructions from? That looks like a darn good resource.

76 '02 owned 20 years.....project for the last 13. I should probably be faster than the rust I'm chasing.

austinmf: My rust free car...

Austin, thought your car had many rust issues. We talked about being in the same boat; thought mine was rust free and I got this:

0323121630a.jpg

But yes, to answer your question, water splashes up in there from the wheel. That part doesn't even exist on my '76 anymore...and I think it's part of the body structure from looking at a post of C.D.'s of the 2002 body structure. Yours doesn't appear to be too bad. Good luck!

The dreaded back window.... yours is worse than mine but repairable... just time and MONEY! :)

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Well that's the thing, once you start fixing rust you don't stop on an 02 :P

IMG_1225.jpg

3 days work I fixed the rust on that lip, the spare tire well, the rest of the trunk, the taillights, etc.

How's your car coming, btw?

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Like how you pulled the trunk! Looks great! How are you finishing it off? I did POR but I think I might grind it off and primer and paint.

Looks like I will pull the other fender now as I am sure it is the same....

I also got a mirror and peaked at all the metal I could not directly see... surface rust EVERYWHERE... not structural but I am addressing everything I can and encapsulating with EASTWOOD everything I cant.... looking for a lipstick cam that is tiny and I am going to start looking everywhere...

Too bad it is so rusty...I can only do my best. Good news is that it is really dry in Austin but the bad news is the whole car is rusty.... Maybe BMW will do what Ford did and release a shell again. (1966 MUSTANG IS AVAILABLE AGAIN BMW!!!! :)

I will be in your neck of the woods in May... not sure if I can make it... Dept of Defense training... I could tell you but... you know the drill

Instead of Terostat tape I would use 3M's VHB tape; it's available in different sizes and thicknesses; it's used for bonding semi-trailers and motor homes together now instead of welding or riveting. We use it in our business for joining stainless steel LCD panel enclosures together to make them waterproof..

Shawn

'69 1600-2 1567148 Caribe (project car), born 11/21/1968

'08 335xi coupe (for going real fast)