• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High pitched dash squeaks, anyone?

fwardell

My '76 '02 has developed high-pitched "mouse squeaks" in the dash area when going over bumps or rough pavement. Sounds like metal on metal, but who knows? They are very annoying to say the least. I've been under the dash several times jiggling and pushing things to no avail. Liberal spraying of WD-40 or silicone hasn't helped. No change when I press and hold the glove box door, radio, instrument panel, steering wheel, clock, center console, even the hood hold-down mechanism. I'M GOING NUTS - HELP!

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

1.Pry the heater/vent cover and check the four screws (total) which keeps the the heater control levers in place.

2. make sure the cables are not hitting any metal under the dash

3. There are 2 (one on each end) post retainer clip held by a 8mm nut I think which holds the dash down. Check to see if that is loose.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

install very loud stereo, or remove muffler - tighten up every screw / nut / bolt you can find under the dash

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Make sure that your Blower Fan Blades have not bent and are scraping the sides of the heater box from air passing through at speed.. exascerbated by bumps or rough road.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Try releasing the hood latch next time it happens and see if it goes away. If so, the hood may need to be repositioned a tiny bit as you have metal to metal contact somewhere. Mine was on the trailing edge, drivers side corner of the hood contacting the bottom on the A Pillar.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

• 1 month later...

Well, finally, peace and quiet! After months of searching for this very annoying squeak and trying all your great ideas (except the D-Con and mousetrap), I have located and terminated this awful noise. It was coming from the throttle linkage rubbing against the firewall. Squeaks are funny. This one sounded like it was the front seat, back seat, the dash, the tranny, or the shift linkage at different times. What worked was one guy wiggling the engine and another with a stethoscope-type device. Whew!.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed