• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price guidence

Brando

We just had a baby, and my wife has been pestering me to get a "safe and reliable" car, and I was hoping you fine people could give me some guidance as to how much I may be able to get for it.

Here's the lowdown

-1973 White Roundy, non-tii, sunroof

-Body is straight, paint is good, no rust

-Motor runs well, I drive to work every day, and it has no problems on the freeway

-Odd noise come from the rear when going slowly uphill, I think it the differential

-Two hella 150's on the front

-4 14" tires with less than 500 miles on perfect rota alpina replicas

-Weber 32/36 with water choke and sync link installed

-Silicone garage 3 core radiator, installed 400 miles ago with new waterpump and thermostat

-Front brake upgrade with rebuilt girling calipers and vented discs

-pertronix ignition and new coil installed 2K miles ago

-Interior is good, grey cloth, black carpet. Two cracks on dash

In addition I have these extra goodies I would sell with the car

-5 speed tranny, with shortened platform, shift rod and driveshaft

-new upgrade door brakes

-new clutch master cylinder

-4 13" bottle cap rims

And these parts for a megasquirt conversion that has yet to materialize

-MS3, built and programmed with stilumator

-77 320i intake system (to make it look almost like a tii)

-8 pico fuel injectors with harness

-wideband O2 sensor with gauge

-Tii Airbox, brake booster and master cylinder

-Ford EDIS system with new 02 again toothed wheel

-Throttle body and adaptor plate

-fuel pressure regulator

-325i fuel pump

-Fuel neck and GM water temp and air temp sensors

It pains me to sell this car, and was hoping to get enough to put a downpayment on a new-ish 3 series. Something 4 door and car seat anchors.

post-19834-13667656866457_thumb.jpg

73 02

67 SX200

64 TV200

61 TV175

If you want my opinion, I say Keep it! I know I would regret selling the 2002. You can typically get a nice E-34 cheep, or if your budget is bigger an E-39, or E-46. All 3 of which are great reliable cars plenty big enough for a growing family.

1971 1600-2

1974 2002_Turd

1993 525it

2003 325i

I have to say, as a father of a 3 year old and someone that tried to do the 'safe and sensible' thing.....don't sell it. When my beautiful 74 land cruiser was hit by a kid in a Porsche, I did the 'right thing' and let it go. I'll never get over that loss...stupid mistake. Finally, my wife insisted I get a new project, hence being back in an 02..

Also, my son rode in my FJ from several months old and they're some of my best memories...he still talks about the FJ and how sad he is that it's gone. If you love your old car, find another way. If you're not crazy tied to it, then no worries, sell it. HTH!

Stephen

Ok, I'm right there with you, and IF YOU HAVE A FREE PLACE TO STORE IT,

then keep the 2002.

If you don't, then selling it isn't the wrong choice. Watching it rot/get hit/stolen

etc AND owing a lot on another car is demoralizing.

We have an E36 and an E46, and they're not huge cars, but big enough for

us. They are both expensive to maintain in their own ways-

if an older 5er suits you, it'd be a good fit, but shop carefully.

If you're worried about 2002 withdrawal, the 3's are a great placebo.

They drive fantastically.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Safe and reliable is what you make it.

The only reason my wife got rid of her 2002 when she was expecting was because she wanted a 4 door car. Good choice if you've ever loaded and unloaded a kid into a car seat through a 2 door into the back seat.

As for carrying ability, a properly loaded 02 will out-carry most small SUV's on the road, or at least come close while still looking good and having fun.

Reliability. Spend a $1000 or two and go through the suspension, brakes, charging system, lights, etc...

Safety. Take car control clinics. Make sure you have good tires. Don't drive beyond your limits.

Is this your only car? Is it trying to be everything for everybody? Exhaust every option before you sell. Of course, you can always buy another 2002 later on. It will just cost you more than what you are into it right now. Oh yeah, I find E46's a pain to work on. I'd much prefer working on an E30/E21/or older.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Thanks everyone, I tried to hold onto the car, but no dice. Came across an almost new 328i, and pulled the trigger. My 02 and megasquirt parts will be up for sale shortly.

73 02

67 SX200

64 TV200

61 TV175

• 2 months later...

The way I see it, classic car values are all about the body condition/rust. If the car is relatively rust free but has a faded so-so paint job and has all the mods you state, I don't think $6500-7500 is unreasonable honestly. If it has some rust in the usual areas on the other hand, than I'd downgrade that estimate to more like $4500-6000