• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My car turns 40 today

not to deflate your birthday party - but -

manufactured on......... January 21st, 1972

delivered on ................ January 24th, 1972 ??

it takes longer than 3 days to load the cars on to a ship,

sail to America, unload and wait at US docks a few day for processing,

transport to a dealer, and prep the car..................

unless this was a European Delivery ?

02factorybodySHELLASSEMBLY.jpg

02factorybodyENGINEINSTALL.jpg

02factorybodystampings.jpg

02factorybodyparts.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I got similar info from BMW regarding manufacture and delivery. Mine's manufactured May 5th 1971, and delivered May 7th. Perhaps that is when Hoffman took ownership of the cars? Or maybe it's the date it was delivered to the shipping port in Germany?

Regardless, congrats!

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Happy birthday!

Mine was 7 days from manufacture to delivery (USA). I am assuming this refers to leaving the assembly line and arriving at a holding area ready to ship or being loaded to ship.

C.D. is just jealous cause he doesn't have an "02 anymore!!

once the car left the factory and was loaded for shipment, it no longer "belonged" to BMW AG--it was considered the property of either the domestic (German) dealer or the importer (shipment to another country.) So if the car was damaged in shipment, it was up to the dealer or importer to fix it and deal with the shipper.

My '69 came through with a caved in driver's door (shipping damage); after waiting four months for delivery I didn't want to wait any longer for another car, so Hoffman Motors paid for having the door repaired--and provided a can of factory paint.

My 73 also had a door damaged in shipment; when delivered to the original owner, it had a new driver's door with black primer on it vs the grey primer that it would have had from the assembly line. Original owner never knew it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite