• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 Swap Pics Thread

Meintii

why the people against M20 swaps can't read the topic and move on w/out spewing disengaged garbage is puzzling.

Who made the Getrag 245 the "proper" gearbox? the stock E30 M20 tranny fits in the 2002's tunnel with no more massaging than required for an E21 5spd. I've done it.

An M20B25 delivers low-RPM torque, comes fuel-injected, and is more common in the states as far as parts and spares than the M10. I've bought 2 running long-blocks for under $500

If you'd driven a stock M20/Motronic 2002, we wouldn't be arguing about this ;)

Why don't we just stay on topic?

octobercarfest047.jpg

..hope Andrew doesn't mind :D

• Like 1

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ah.....Charley is still around these parts? Good to see, I enjoyed reading your M20 build coverage a few years back.

You took some cool / custom avenues in order to get that car going.

Maybe you'll get back into an 02 someday?

I have enjoyed my M20/02 for 7+ years now and it has taken everything I have thrown at it......daily driving, road rallies, track days, etc.  I can appreciate a stock car as much as tastefully done modified examples. I met a dude 10+ years ago, that has now grabbed the general publics attention.....his name is Magnus Walker. His modifications with vintage Porsche cars is on point in my book.....and he drives the crap out of them. The design is in the details and the mods can make a performance enhanced slot car on wheels. These are the sort of avenues I have taken with my vintage BMW cars.

To each their own with modifications and such. If they all were look-alike stockers.....things could get boring pretty quick. I like going to shows and seeing a full stock example parked next to and engine modded example parked next to a full blown vintage race spec example.......this goes for the 4 door NK cars too!

Good luck with your M20, modified M10, and stock builds out there.

They all take time to get dialed in correctly and to your liking.

I am sure that some of you will see the mixed bag of examples this weekend in Monterey!!

If you have never been, you should make an effort to do so.

See ya on the road, jim h.

post-33251-0-09777500-1376441940_thumb.j

Edited by designpunk

why the people against M20 swaps can't read the topic and move on w/out spewing disengaged garbage is puzzling.

Who made the Getrag 245 the "proper" gearbox? the stock E30 M20 tranny fits in the 2002's tunnel with no more massaging than required for an E21 5spd. I've done it.

An M20B25 delivers low-RPM torque, comes fuel-injected, and is more common in the states as far as parts and spares than the M10. I've bought 2 running long-blocks for under $500

If you'd driven a stock M20/Motronic 2002, we wouldn't be arguing about this ;)

Why don't we just stay on topic?

octobercarfest047.jpg

..hope Andrew doesn't mind :D

just pure fiya

madman mechanic,71 02 98 528i

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally got my 2002 back in my posession after moving from Seattle, to Bothell, WA.

Finally got my own garage to work on my own projects. No more sharing with a Range Rover Hoarder!!! Bump, I need motivation.

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

Motor is bolted up. Trans is connected to engine but not mounted to the body yet - I do have the matching Manimal Trans mount bracket. Still have the trans tunnel cut up and need to close it up but yeah its where it will be for the rest of its life! - Thinking about how I want to close it up.... hmmmm

Yeah. Not happy its taking so long but you can't rush a project like this!ed1a8c9d3b30fa5eda65ef2761b8070f.jpg
Stored at a coworkers "race car shop".

Finally home in Bothell.

11.jpg

This is what went down RIGHT before we moved out. Didn't want to haul a roller around as well as the drivetrain...

Sorry for the screenshots, the OG pictures have been deleted from my phone. Feel free to follow me on Instagram for up to the minute updates on my projects. - @Siaopaopao

Engine went in smoothly. Bolted it onto the subframe and went up from the bottom..

1.png

2.png

Jacked up in place with the Trans Mount touching the body so I have an idea of vertical clearance.. Going to use a Laser on a Magnet to dial in the horizonal clearance as well as vertical to make sure the driveline is as straight as can be. Using the Stock E30 Driveline..

3.png

At this point, I decided I didn't want to try to "squeeze" it in. I want the piece of mind knowing that under hard driving that there will be no rubbing/chaffing/etc. So this is what happened before we moved and how it sits at home in the new garage..

4.png

Open to any and all criticism, from anyone who's done the swap. Anyone who's just looking and wants to bash the work done, please keep it to yourself.

It's much easier to talk about how you'd do it then to actually do it. 

Edited by kid2002

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

Tony, how's yours running? I know you'd had yours done for quite a while now! Updated pics?

Funny to run into you here, i've been waiting to make some progress before I email you back! Again, thanks for all the help and kind words thus far. Your build is a big motivation for me.

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

Mine is running good not bad can't complain no problems at all and I've been driving it daily ever since its been in there with the occasional canyon runs every other weekend or so .. The motor lives at redline I drive the shit out of it .. I recently got #17 injuctors with a mark d chip it made a little difference better then stock .. Now I'm trying to gather parts to go turbo ., I wanna run a mega squirt system so that's my next plan ..

Changing the subject a little, I am wondering if someone could help me out with a radiator question.  I see that 99.9% of the 02 guys that use a 323i radiator in their M20 use the later radiator.  Does anyone know why?  I have asked on the FAQ in the past but I have had no luck. 

My rationale to use the earlier 323i radiator is because the outlet on the drivers side is not angled like the later version, thinking that it would provide better clearance for the lower hose.  But looking at everyone using the later it doesn't seem to matter.  The biggest issue that is puzzling me is mounting the bottom of the radiator.  Meaning, based on catalog diagrams, the early 323i radiator would sit nearly flush against the 02's core support which may create a clearance issue with the hood support.  It appears that the later radiator sits on top of rubber mounts that would elevate the bottom a little compared to how the earlier one mount thus not conflicting with the hood supports.  I have added a little sketch if there is any confusion.  Based on what I have described I am likely going to switch and use the later radiator since that is what everyone else has used.  I just want to confirm my reasoning before having it imported and there are no returns.  

post-35605-0-77949000-1423766686_thumb.j

post-35605-0-78985800-1423766699_thumb.j

post-35605-0-32780100-1423766700_thumb.j