• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HIDs installed

Koblenz

Guest Anonymous

First. Osram Sylvania: Philips or G.E lamps come from China or Taiwan and brand recognition is their only advantage. Many off brand bulbs are equally good or just as good. I would be more concerned of the ever growing switch to LED streetlights from hid or other light sources before I worry about a simple car head light bulb. In fact. Check with your local municipalities if the LED roadway fixtures they plan to buy meet the.current code for roadway lighting.

The idea or problem is that the filament is not in the same physical location hid to normal H4 bulb thus focusing the light in the wrong place. Some kits overcome this but many do not.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Guest Anonymous
The idea or problem is that the filament is not in the same physical location hid to normal H4 bulb thus focusing the light in the wrong place. Some kits overcome this but many do not.

John

the location is the same and is not the problem. The higher light level is. HID's have an "arc tube" as opposed to a filament and produces more lumens per watt (LPW) VS. an Incandescent/Halogen light source. The challenge I think is finding a HID conversion kit that will not be so bright that it will cause light spillage due to the reflector inside the housing not being able to handle the light output. I believe choosing a lower wattage HID kit, 15-20% less watts than your halogen bulb solves the "glare" issue people complain about.. You'll still get more hours, a crispier light, higher CRI and better color temp with HID's.

Ray is astute in recommending Daniel Stern's valuable observations. Stern's website also offers the sale of excellent headlamps and auxiliary lamps, and he will refer you to his associate, Candlepower Inc., to simply purchase bulbs.

A few years back I read about an HID bulb conversion: the poster claimed that they were so good that he did not need high beams (HID bulbs might dim but they do not have a second filament). In fact, he had eliminated the low beams so he was essentially using high beams all the time and refused to acknowledge it.

You can buy proper HID headlamps that are 7" in diameter, although I'm not sure they will mount cleanly in a 2002. [www.suvlights.com] had the remaining OSRAM Sylvania products that use an HID low beam and an H3 TH high beam bulb (to allow frequent switching without degrading bulb life).

If you are in the modifying mode, you can buy Hella 90mm Bi-HID headlamps that you could probably adapt to a PAR56 mount system. These have a mechanical shutter that switchs between low and high beams, and they are available in either ECE or DOT compliance. See [http] for dimensions and links to pricing pages.

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Guest Anonymous

the DS website does provide a ton of info but he fails to point out the advantages of HID. Perhaps because he doesnt carry them.

Improved Visibility

HID headlights produce a brighter, more natural light than halogen headlights. The halogen headlights is slightly yellow and studies have shown that driver's using HID headlights have more visibility.

Longer Lasting[/b]

HID headlights last up to three times as long as halogen bulbs. This means less maintenance for vehicle owners and less waste produced.

Lower Energy Usage

HID consume much less energy than halogen bulbs, around 25 to 30 percent less.

More Attractive The look is much cleaner and crispier compared to yellowed halogen light source.

Because of their benefits over halogen headlights, HID headlights are considered the future of automotive lighting. It's not a question of if but when.

Guest Anonymous

ok guys i sell hids in my shop,and ive had them in all my vehicles since 2001,so youll need a 7" composit headlamp conversion for use with h4 bulbs, i have h4 dual beam on my 2002,the lights are pointed in the right direction with no problems from oncoming traffic and very good visibility.i would highly recommend this conversion .easy to do.

sylvio