• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping to lug bolts an option?

gli_ryan

Before answering.... why? (help us, help you.)

What are you planning for hubs? If your swapping out to any form of larger brake your going to be ending up with thin wall (Tii spindle) E21 hubs (1977 320i, and euro spec 323's), Thick wall (2002 spindle) E21 hubs (1978+ US spec 320i's), or even E12 5 lug (Tii spindle) hub. All of which use a 12x1.5 thread pitch for which there are many stud/bolt options.

The rears will obviously remain press in, for which longer press n studs are available.

Need to fit my wheel adapters. The 5x130 to 4x100 adapters almost always need to use allen head bolts for the hubs, and the studs currently on there do not fit in the adapters and if they did there wouldn't be room for the nuts. So the 320 stuff doesn't fit in the back? Might have to tap those ones and do the big brake kit up front...

As Andrew says, front's easy with 320 parts and bigger brakes,

rear's a bit harder with 320 parts, and usually trailing arms.

But when you're done you get a stouter arm and hub and stub.

Someone had a spacer a while back to put the 320 hubs and stubs into

a 2002 trailing arm, but it didn't look.. right. Probably was fine.

Drilling and tapping the 2002 rear flange is certainly an option-

I'm not sure it's a good idea, as the flange isn't very thick.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

As Andrew says, front's easy with 320 parts and bigger brakes,

rear's a bit harder with 320 parts, and usually trailing arms.

But when you're done you get a stouter arm and hub and stub.

Someone had a spacer a while back to put the 320 hubs and stubs into

a 2002 trailing arm, but it didn't look.. right. Probably was fine.

Drilling and tapping the 2002 rear flange is certainly an option-

I'm not sure it's a good idea, as the flange isn't very thick.

t

Is there an issue at all with the half shafts and the 320 parts?

gli_ryan, what you are saying these guys are real foreign to them. The adapter bug has not gotten to the 2002 community as it has all the other models.

The situation right now is that you have studs in the hubs, so you can not run adapters like you want. What you can do is probably press the studs out and get away with using lugs. I thought about getting some adapters also, but the stud situation is holding me back from doing it. Next bet is just find some wheels that you redrill and run tuner lugs.

If you use the whole 320 rear (half shafts, trailing arms, diff)

it bolts right in. Then you have to figure out how to do the

springs, as the 320 doesn't have the perches. I went to coilover at this point.

Yes, I've seen plenty of spacers. No, I don't use the bolt- on kind,

just the slip- ons. Since they're easily adjustable....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

gli_ryan, what you are saying these guys are real foreign to them. The adapter bug has not gotten to the 2002 community as it has all the other models.

The situation right now is that you have studs in the hubs, so you can not run adapters like you want. What you can do is probably press the studs out and get away with using lugs. I thought about getting some adapters also, but the stud situation is holding me back from doing it. Next bet is just find some wheels that you redrill and run tuner lugs.

I want to run my polished porsche d90 wheels though damnit! lol. I know this is tough for some people to swallow, but oh well. I'll probably call a couple machine shops and see what they say about drilling and tapping the rear hubs, then look for the 320 stuff for the front. I've got some thick spacers on the back right now but those allow for the use of the studs/nuts. This adapter setup though I don't think will be possible to run the studs/nuts even if a machinist wanted to build them that way.

If you use the whole 320 rear (half shafts, trailing arms, diff)

it bolts right in. Then you have to figure out how to do the

springs, as the 320 doesn't have the perches. I went to coilover at this point.

Yes, I've seen plenty of spacers. No, I don't use the bolt- on kind,

just the slip- ons. Since they're easily adjustable....

t

Alright thanks. I just switched to the e21 lsd this past spring so I've got that covered. I suppose I'll have to source a new set of parts now…lame.

I'll probably call a couple machine shops and see what they say about drilling and tapping the rear hubs, then look for the 320 stuff for the front. I've got some thick spacers on the back right now but those allow for the use of the studs/nuts. This adapter setup though I don't think will be possible to run the studs/nuts even if a machinist wanted to build them that way.

See if a machine shop could "open up" the holes in the adapters to allow room for the lug nuts to mount to the std lugs.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

I'll probably call a couple machine shops and see what they say about drilling and tapping the rear hubs, then look for the 320 stuff for the front. I've got some thick spacers on the back right now but those allow for the use of the studs/nuts. This adapter setup though I don't think will be possible to run the studs/nuts even if a machinist wanted to build them that way.

See if a machine shop could "open up" the holes in the adapters to allow room for the lug nuts to mount to the std lugs.

two of the holes are so close it wouldn't work. I got an estimate and was quoted an hour to drill and tap 2 hubs. I'm going to start with that on the back, then try to source 320 front hubs.

EDIT: If I go to the 320 front hubs do I have to use the rest of the 320 brake parts? Or can I run the normal 2002 stuff for now?

two of the holes are so close it wouldn't work. I got an estimate and was quoted an hour to drill and tap 2 hubs. I'm going to start with that on the back, then try to source 320 front hubs.

EDIT: If I go to the 320 front hubs do I have to use the rest of the 320 brake parts? Or can I run the normal 2002 stuff for now?

YEs. No. search is going to be your friend here. look at the volvo BBK FAQ.

well had the rear hubs drilled and tapped. $85, 1 shop hour. Not too shabby I suppose. I'm going to try and get a nut tacked on the back of the hub for added threads, and shave them down if they don't clear the wheel cylinders. I can't wait to bolt these up this weekend and see how it looks! Going to be cutting fenders and ordering bolt on flares soon I suppose.

Should have front hubs soon. I bought them last weekend, but with the holidays I won't expect them until middle of next week. $65 shipped for those. Then I'll start getting parts for the big brake kit.

Make sure and post some pics with those d90s on, really curious what they look like on an 02!!

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)