• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust system needed for 1975 2002

inkatx2002

While attempting to drop the driveshaft to install a new center support bearing, I studied for the first time what a kluged together exhaust system I inherited when I bought my 2002 last Spring.

In short, does anyone have a reasonably priced system they have recently removed from their '02 for sale?

Or, does anyone know if Ansa, Supersprint, or the like make a complete replacement system from header to rear bumper?

Thanks!

TX2002

Dallas, Texas

'75 2002

'08 M6

'99 K12RS

I just installed a Ansa system in my 75, it is under restoration and I purchased the system a few years back on Ebay. It came in 2 parts a center section and a rear muffler with twin chrome tips. The down pipe, from the exhaust manifold to the center , also a Ansa was purchased separately. While you are playing try a find a Tii exhaust manifold to replace your 75 smog manifold it's almost as good as a header. The Ansa system is set up to use the factory hangers, which on my 75 was a problem because at some point they were off cut off and I had to fabricate some, I still have some tweaking to get it to fit correctly, it' 90% there :). I have not heard it yet, hope for sometime in the spring.

Harry

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

simple - order the STOCK original parts from member BLUNT here,

or from any BMWDEALER - important to have the trans/exhaust support

bracket with it's insulating washers bushings. Without that bracket

you'll be working on the exhaust every few months after it comes loose.

And as others suggest - find a good used tii exhaust manifold while your

at it for improved flow and no increase in noise. The Super Sprint system is available but !LOUD! comopared to the STOCK system - about the same cost either way.

Also good time while the manifold is off to install new studs in cleaned holes with BLUE Loctite to prevent future oil leaks and make your installation reliable for many years

if your steering idler bearings are original to the car - replace those also while the ex. manifold is off - lots of room then.

02EXHAUSTPARTS.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

at it for improved flow and no increase in noise. The Super Sprint system is available but !LOUD! comopared to the STOCK system - about the same cost either way.

Also good time while the manifold is off to install new studs in cleaned holes with BLUE Loctite to prevent future oil leaks and make your installation reliable for many years

if your steering idler bearings are original to the car - replace those also while the ex. manifold is off - lots of room then.

Not to intercept but while on the subject, I have a 75 automatic with air, will the Tii manifold fit/work no problem? I have heard that some headers will not fit to my car so just wondering.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

Not to intercept but while on the subject, I have a 75 automatic with air, will the Tii manifold fit/work no problem? I have heard that some headers will not fit to my car so just wondering.

The tii mainifold is identical in exterior dimensions as the stock one (actually smaller in your case because you probably have the thermal reactor on yours) but it depends on whether you have the smog equipment removed or not. If you are still using the smog equipment then the tii manifold will not connect to it and therefore will not work.

74 Golf

I just replaced the hacked up and welded exhuast system on my 72 and ordered all the parts through my local dealership. Everything came in in about a week and a half. The hardest part of the procedure was getting the old stuff off and trying not break more stuff while doing it. I recommend you do that first so you know what parts you'll need to get. My exhaust support bracket was welded to the down pipe like yours but I saved it by cutting through the u bolt and dremeling the the rest of the old pipe from it. After that I just included a new U bolt in my order. The down pipe is a bit of a pain to get off, I ended up having to use a big breaker bar to free the nuts that join it to the exhuast manifold. New stuff goes on super easy and everything fits. No more rattling. Oh make sure to get new bushings for that support bracket, mine were just black goo when I pulled them out. I'm guessing that's why the down pipe cracked in half.

thanks, Tom! I'm going the Stahl header to ansa exhaust system route.

Looks like total replacement from header to muffler with all new hangers, bolts, and connecting pipes will run about $1100.... how much did the OEM bits, pieces, and parts total?

Regards, Marc

TX2002

Dallas, Texas

'75 2002

'08 M6

'99 K12RS

Cost me $561.16 including tax Canadian for everything minus the rear muffler which I already had( I think that would add around another $200 something). Price includes down pipe, centre muffler & all the nuts, bolts, gaskets, bushings etc that I need. I imagine prices are cheaper in the states. It was really statisfying having everything fit as it should with no messing around.

I noticed that at one time there were different part numbers for an 02 exhaust and a Tii exhaust (at least for the muffler) even for the early ones with the exit to the right. What is the difference? Diameter of the pipe?

Been thinking of an IE SS exhaust but concerned bout the noise. The ANSA one is not to my liking for more than a few miles.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

definitely good prices, Tom! The biggest difference in our budgets would be the addition of the Stahl header on top of your other costs, which accounts for more than half my budget. Hope it's worth waiting for! Stahl doesn't make them until you order them. Looks like it will be here just in time for my wife to wrap and put under the tree for Christmas!

TX2002

Dallas, Texas

'75 2002

'08 M6

'99 K12RS