• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

back to basics: taking out front seats

golf73

no, not a GAP ad campaign. it seems that in order to slide out the stock front seats, i must remove the (long) center console. any other way to do this without taking out the console? i just want to swap out my drivers seat with a temporary spongebob squaretail seat while i reupholster it.

Usually, the bottom cushion is worn and it sags down to interfere with the console. As you slide the seat forward, pull outward on the bottom seat cushion to help clear the console. It doesn't need to slide all the way forward, just far enough to clear the rear bolts. Tip the seat forward, as well.

Now, vacuum up all the horsehair crap on the carpet under the seat, and also take a look at the mounting bolt holes- check for cracks. If the rear welded nuts are in bad shape, you can just use a longer bolt and nut it from the underside. There is plenty of access to get at it with a wrench. Be sure to use fair sized washers to spread the load.

If you clean the heck out of the slide rails while the seat is out, be aware that it will take less effort moving the seat back and forth after you put it back in.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes