• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on New Wheels for my 73tii

PaulTWinterton

I'm considering a set of Minilite wheels. Anthracite grey spokes with Polished edge. Gorgeous! They might actually be knockoffs from China. I will know once I have seen them a second time.

They are 5.5"x 14, 4x100. Offset 22mm.

Can I just pop these on my car, align and go? Or, is the offset wrong and I will have alignment issues.

I plan to put on 175s x 185s tires by Federal.

Advice pls. I don't want to make a mistake and have rubbing or steering issues.

Thanks,

Paul Winterton

Vancouver, Canada

73 Inca tii

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, although it's getting greater all the time.

I thought 14" would be ok, if I get the right tires to match.

My bigger concern was the offset, as I wasn't sure how what the spec was.

I now understand that the original spec is 29-33 offset. Smaller numbers push the wheel out to the fender. So I should try to stay within the 29-33 number.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Guys run 6" wide 13's from an e21 with little problems, provided the car is near stock ride height.. And those wheels are et18 and et20. So 5.5's with et22 will get you a wider stance without the heavier wheel effort of a wide rim and tire combo..

I have 15X7 et25s with 195/50s.. for reference.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Hi Paul--

Have you seen the late Curt Ingram's tire fitment chart for 2002's? Judging by your questions I suspect that you have not, so I'll try to attach his Excel spreadsheet or some form thereof.

Maybe a PDF file will attach; you may need to zoom in.

Larry

2002 wheel-tire fit from Curt 080424.pdf

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the PDF.

I want to stay as close to stock as possible. I'm concerned with alignment as there is not a lot of adjustment.

Also, if the diameter of the tires is different, is not the speedo incorrect and the rpm/distance traveled affected? I already find that I'm winding out the rpm to get the most out of the gears. Smaller diameter wheels would make that worse. Correct?

Paul Winterton

73 Inca tii

Vancouver, Canada

Hi Paul--

Look carefully at Curt's chart and the notes. In order to maintain the engine speed and speedometer accuracy you should select tires that provide close to stock diameter (rolling radius). The wheels you are contemplating are apt to create fender rub with tires that have the same diameter as the stock 165R-13. Of course, you can add fender flares if you choose.

The only alignment adjustment for our cars is for front wheel toe, and the tie-rod end links typically offer plenty of adjustment capacity. To change other alignment angles you would need to bend suspension parts or install racing components such as [http].

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga