• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of grill should I look for???? UPDATED WITH PICS

Livio

I have a 72, I recently purchased a set of H4 hella upgrades, replacing my sealed beams, the trim ring around the sealed beams did not exaclty fit perfectly there was always a gap on one side of the bulbs no matter how I spun those rings they never seem to fully close the gap.

IMGP0045.JPG
From 152_0326

IMGP0046.JPG
From 152_0326

IMGP0044.JPG
From 152_0326

IMGP0048.JPG
From 152_0326

PROBLEM NOW:

with the H4s I wanted that clean flush look with the grill and headlight bulb, but that unsightly gap is still there, I've noticed on some cars the grill is flush with the headlights all around, which grill pieces should I be searching for.

I have seen a few pics of 02s with front grills that seem to be one piece with the kidneys or at least they run right up against the kidneys, what front fascia is that?

The red car is mine, grey car is from a local shop not sure if those parts are correct, mine is a 72 grey car is 74, should I be searching for a complete 74 front fascia or was the flush grill an option for the roundies, even worst is the grey car a piece together affair.

Livio

Try finding the '73 shallow grills and see how you like them. Those are plug and play.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

• Alpina

The look you are trying to achieve has nothing to do with the grills!

You have to

Look for the European headlight buckets to get the flush effect on the grills!

Pre Euro buckets,

360babd5.jpg

Post Euro buckets

9dea32e0.jpg

48d9197a.jpg

Said buckets!

1c48cb24.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

is a squarelight car with plastic grilles. Your car is a roundie with metal grilles. While you could modify your '72 to take the plastic grilles, it's more trouble than it's worth.

If your car is a fairly early production '72 (check REALOEM for the exact VIN cutoff) you have the "deep" headlight surround grilles with asymetric headlight retainer rims. The late 72/all 73 "shallow" headlight surround grilles (with symetric retainer rims) will give you a more flush look. While the headlight buckets are the same for both grilles, those retainer rims aren't, so be sure and get them when you get the grilles. Squarelights use these same retainers, but they're black vs chrome.

The deep grilles are still available from BMW Classic; however, the shallow grilles have been NLA for a number of years.

Happy hunting.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

thanks to all for the advice, as usual getting a question answered is never an issue here at the FAQ its what to do with all the info you get that starts the headache.

Thanks Folks, i guess my search now will consist of possible euro headlight buckets or the symetrical rings and shallow grill,

my car is early 72 built nov 18 1971.

Livio

is a squarelight car with plastic grilles. Your car is a roundie with metal grilles. While you could modify your '72 to take the plastic grilles, it's more trouble than it's worth.

If your car is a fairly early production '72 (check REALOEM for the exact VIN cutoff) you have the "deep" headlight surround grilles with asymetric headlight retainer rims. The late 72/all 73 "shallow" headlight surround grilles (with symetric retainer rims) will give you a more flush look. While the headlight buckets are the same for both grilles, those retainer rims aren't, so be sure and get them when you get the grilles. Squarelights use these same retainers, but they're black vs chrome.

The deep grilles are still available from BMW Classic; however, the shallow grilles have been NLA for a number of years.

Happy hunting.

mike

OK OK you guys have me reconsidering the 74 grill, the shallow post euro bucket look is what I am trying to achieve, if the shallow grills are NLA.. can I still get the symetric retainer rims, that were used on both late model 72 and 73-on headlights?