• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats Your Mileage

aerowise

I am curious as to what kind of mileage I can expect from my 1974 2002 being a daily driver. I bought mine with supposedly 30,000 original miles. It is very immaculate, crack free dash, nice headliner, decent paint. Had it checked out by a BMW mechanic and he thought that the mileage seemed legit after examining the whole car, motor, inside, body, underneath, bushings, etc. Only thing is, I had to replace the clutch recently. Could this be a sign that the miles are off or just that someone didn't drive it properly?

Anyway, Post your mileage! What's the highest miles you've seen a 2002 reach?

2002 to 2112! What a Rush!-- '74 2002 - '91 Saab 900

I'm averaging about 33 mpg, but with a highly tuned Megasquirt system, 5-speed and 3.64 diff. YMMV. When I was running a Weber 32/36 I was averaging around 25. Stock engine w/ 200k miles, header w/ 2" exhaust. Last time I did a dyno pull when tuning it I got 110 hp at the rear. Not bad I think! :) Now to save up for that engine rebuild!

'74 2002 Megasquirted!

My car was at 60k when I got it from a 20 years storage and it needed a clutch pretty soon after I got it... I get 20mph average on a stock motor with a well tuned 32/36 and a header.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

im roughly around 180,000 miles. the car has good documention from shop reciepts and milage reports at the registry, but ive never gone through and added up the numbers though the speedo replacement, odometer wraps, and miles to km change. car is in pieces right now though getting an engine rebuild.

My rebuilt 40K mile '73 Tii (9.2CR and 3.91 LSD, 5 spd OD) now gets about 31/32mpg on highway, much at 70-80mph.

I can't stress enough to take the time to properly tune the car. I drove mine for nearly 10 years and was plenty happy with it - started promptly, pulled strong - but never got above 24/25 mpg. After going through linkages, distributor, timing, etc. it's like a new car.

As others have said - YMMV.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

count me in for any cruises, landon. just here is 30 miles closer to 400K! good to see you.

matt

How come you still read "Denver". Thought you bagged it for Eagle?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

only been here a little over a month. and i'm just here for the job. pregnant wife, dog, and house are still in denver, which i visit every weekend. not the best situation, but at least i have steady income and i am back in the beautiful mountains 4 to 5 days a week.

FAQ member #4044