• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny covering plate

CR_MOE

Hi, I recently realized that my 02 is missing this part and I was gonna order it online but a friend says he had a spare.

My 02 already has the 5 speed overdrive E21 tranny but my friend says the ones he has comes from a 1984 318i E30, will it work?

7.png

Mauricio Liscano

1974 2002 Touring

They're something like a $4 or $7 part from BMW so if you are missing it, make sure you get one. It keeps crap out of the clutch, including water which would be pretty bad to get in there. It's meant to be a removable cover for inspecting the flywheel teeth.

Well yeah $4-7 plus shipping to my freight forwarder in Miami, plus international shipping to Costa Rica, plus customs tax which is at least 20% of the sales price plus the 2 shipping fees together. You guys have it easy.

Again can I use an E30 one on an E21 tranny?

Mauricio Liscano

1974 2002 Touring

Up the Panamerican Highway in Nicaragua, town of Rivas, there's an Agave 2002 that's been sitting in this guy's yard for at least six years, maybe longer. It's on the south side of downtown, before you get to the baseball stadium and is on the right as you're heading north.

The car is a US spec roundie--might be a good source of parts for you. It's one of only two 2002s I've seen in Nicaragua over the years (the other one was running along the Leon highway)

I suspect the cover from an E21 could be made to fit.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 4 months later...

No man, Nicaragua is a good 6-8 hours away and well crossing that border in particular is not that easy since our diplomatic relationship ain't that great mostly due to border disputes.

Also the car probably doesn't run so it would be an expensive tow, there's lots of 02s here in San Jose, Costa Rica, lots of tourings too since the german versions were sold here instead; actually US versions are rare or they came into the country later as personal imports.

Most people I know that have US spec 02s or E21 try to un-americanize them ASAP and arer always looking for Euro spec bumpers.

Mauricio Liscano

1974 2002 Touring

yeah ,They make it very hard to do anything between each of the Cent America Countries. The strong crew of BMW 02 amigos in Guatemala might be able to know where, and a how to get the part for ya. My buddies in Panama built bikes, and use the airlines like Copa air. to send parts. They have used the buses also! In Cent America , if there is a will there is a way! or $$$ pay off! good luck. If I was coming surfing there I would bring it! but No Costa for a few years!