• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throw-out bearings

pwagon717

Is there really a difference between all the throw-out bearing for the 5 spd swap. I have a bearing from a 323,320, and 325. They all are identical. I do not see any difference in them. I have the 228mm fly and everyone says the 323 is the one to use. Part numbers look identical on the bearings, they all say Sachs. Need some help.

I have been running the 323i bearing since my 5 spd installation in 1997. It works... if you have one, why not use it. And you are correct, for the 228mm flywheel the 323i T/O bearing is recommended.

Earl

aka "snakedriver"

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Could you take a pic with and label them to show the height. I was under the impression(had read) the 323i TO bearing was about 5mm taller than the others and that's why it was necessary in the 228mm 5spd.

Yes it is a used one, that I just took out of the tranny. I ordered a 320 bearing because I thought it had a 215 flywheel. Called Sachs, and they said that the bearing have no difference from any of them.

I am pretty sure that if you use the 215mm flywheel, the 320i T/O should work as that was the same setup on the 5 speed E21's. Understand this is pure speculation as I do not have firsthand experience with the 215mm unit. There has been quite a bit of discussion in the past concerning this subject. Also have a friend here locally that was told the T/O bearings were all the same, installed a 320 bearing with the 228mm flywheel. The take up of the clutch was almost immediate, as soon as you let it up from the floor. Went to the 323i bearing and all was well.

Earl

aka"snakedriver"

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I am pretty sure that if you use the 215mm flywheel, the 320i T/O should work as that was the same setup on the 5 speed E21's.

Yep, this is 100% the case.

The 228 p-p is shallower than the 215, so the 323 t/o is a better choice

for the 228mm clutch.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

the 323 bearing is 5mm longer(21 51 1 204 525). in most cases, if you use the shorter, more common bearing, 21 51 7 521 471, clutch will not disengage.

I somehow ended up with the short bearing for my 228 kit (stock 4 speed trans), and in leiu of removing the tranny again, I made an adjustable pushrod out of a bolt, two nuts, and a little but of weld when it was all adjusted.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

Yea the standard bearing will work. It was in this car for some years. My buddies all sat around the car and actually figured why it worked. It is shorter which would cause the clutch to disengage slightly, which will actually cause faster wear on the clutch and flywheel. That will them cause the slipping of the clutch problem, which this car has now. The kid before probably also rode on the clutch more causing excessive wear.

Also want to give Steve aka Blunt for all the help. That man right there is an asset to the community.