• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dreaded "L" light... only on right-hand turns

doog

Last week, I attempted to chase down a potential grounding problem, but found nothing amiss. When I was idling, the alternator charged steadily: I measured voltage at 14+. Also, while idling, with an insulated, non-metalic screwdriver, I touched and moved slightly any wires associated with the charging system: everything was fine. However, right-hand turns caused the charging light to flicker. Have you any advice?

I had a similar problem with my car and when I went to replace the alternator, I found that the alternator mount where it bolts to the block was really loose. It was hard to notice until I took the fan belt off and released the tension on the alternator. My grounding strap for the alternator was connected to one of the alternator mount bolts that was loose.

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

One easy method I use to eliminate any question on the wiring is to run seperate, individual wires from the regulator to the back of the alternator. I'll also run a new clean wire of the + connection and a new ground wire. If the problem remains, at least you'll know it's not wire related and it'll save you from tearing into an otherwise good harness.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 2 weeks later...

When I was just about to call it a day, I discovered the problem: the collection of wires that included the B+ from the alternator and that was enclosed in a cloth, rubber-impregnated sheath (?), had been abraded by the threaded end of a bolt beneath the battery tray. The sheath was worn away exposing the casing of the B+ wire: at rest or moving straight ahead, apparently, the B+ wire was micros away from the bolt, which, of course, was ground. However, right-hand turns must have force the B+ wire close enough to partially short the B+. (Actually, it might have been a capacitance effect, since I did not find any exposed wire.) Anyway, I wrapped the worn area of the sheath in silicon tape, enclosed the entire collection in convoluted, plastic sleeving, and moved the loop away from the chassis, fixing it with zip ties.