• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing help please

323IJOE

I have a 74-76 02 that has been sitting in my town for a pretty long time now, and I'm looking for a project, I'm just thinking the asking price is a little high,

-carb 02

- Auto

- rocker panels have rust spots which means they need replacing

- not sure on floor pans as they were covered but interior has to be gutted due to bad water damage

-Front end is all rusted at the bottom

- Hood is bowed and rusting on inside (probably needs replacing)

- not running from the looks of it

- couldn't get into trunk so I don't know about the strut towers

- Frame rails are solid as hell though (which is the best quality)

- no sunroof

They are asking $2000, do you guys think this is a fair price? I kinda think its a little high for a non running 02 that needs a good amount of work

Any help is greatly appreciated, please get back to me asap. thanks

$500 unless it does run. Then maybe up to $1000 depending on looking in the trunk, depending on what part of the country you are in. Extra parts or nice mods are a plus but not worth upping the price much.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Its not a huge rust bucket but i can tell its going to need some work, I'll stop by there and grab some pictures and post them up.

I just called and they said they are asking $2200 now, but the price is negotiable. but I'm thinking around 1,200

and for whats its worth i just went and saw another one that was rusted to shit and he wanted 1700 for it . =0

Lots of 1976 cars in California looking for homes out of state. Decent, low rust 2002's that won't pass smog. You could probably find one cheap on jaxed.com and have it shipped out for the price they are asking for that rusty, non-running local car.

Mark92131

I was thinking of making a low-ball offer on this one.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2530648076.html

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Lots of 1976 cars in California looking for homes out of state. Decent, low rust 2002's that won't pass smog. You could probably find one cheap on jaxed.com and have it shipped out for the price they are asking for that rusty, non-running local car.

Mark92131

+1 on the California '76 year cars. Itis great if you are out of state.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

Mark92131

Why arent they passing smog? Aren't the older cars exempt on emissions and crap? And I would look out of state bit I'm kind of weary of buying something without seeing it first. And I'm on a kinda tight budget and I don't think I can afford the shipping right now

I'm going to check it out tomorrow and might offer the guy around 1200 if it runs and rear towers are ok I'll post up some pics when I get home

Man, I dunno about $1200... I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago and was told the car I was looking at was a "$500 car" and it only has a couple rust spots on it and runs like a champ. I'd be careful w/ how you describe the shape of the body, especially the front. That stuff isn't trivial if you do it yourself and isn't cheap when someone else does it. I understand that there may not be many '02s in your area but a one-way plane ticket and a day or two drive isn't much money if you want to look farther away for something that runs well and needs not much body work.

2002s have gone up in value SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 2 years. For some of us who have been buying and selling 2002s for some time, the $500 price estimate is where these cars have been for a while. But not recently. Non-running cars, as long as they are not seriously rusty are fetching $1500-$2000. Running low-rust basket cases are commanding $3K+.

Also. the California 76 myth is just that. 76s are not hard to smog. If the car runs well, just add a cat. You can even eliminate the thermal reactors as long as you run he air pump and the EGR line to the exhaust. Yes, they are worth less than earlier car, but they are far from being cheap like they used to be. I have been looking for a 76 with a good body that has smog issues or a blown motor for an M42 conversion. There is nothing decent under $3K.

I hear that cars in other parts of the country are even more expensive than California because there are fewer of them in decent shape.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

2002s have gone up in value SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 2 years. For some of us who have been buying and selling 2002s for some time, the $500 price estimate is where these cars have been for a while. But not recently. Non-running cars, as long as they are not seriously rusty are fetching $1500-$2000. Running low-rust basket cases are commanding $3K+.

Also. the California 76 myth is just that. 76s are not hard to smog. If the car runs well, just add a cat. You can even eliminate the thermal reactors as long as you run he air pump and the EGR line to the exhaust. Yes, they are worth less than earlier car, but they are far from being cheap like they used to be. I have been looking for a 76 with a good body that has smog issues or a blown motor for an M42 conversion. There is nothing decent under $3K.

I hear that cars in other parts of the country are even more expensive than California because there are fewer of them in decent shape.

This is where I'm at right now, I have yet too see a decent on with engine running rough anywhere below $2000. And the only ones I've found anywhere around the US for anywhere near $500 unless its a bare shell :( and unfortunately I don't have alot of spare time to be driving around to look at some.

Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/2491799806.html

Here's another one I was looking at until I was told the engine had been swapped for a Tii & I don't have the tools to work on fuel injection.

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/2494294093.html

Both strong runners with a little rust under $3k & I would guess you could even get them under $2k with some haggling.

Here's an East coast car that looks pretty good:

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2527031792.html

This one looks pretty awesome in the pics:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2548734401.html

Anyway, I digress. I'd have a real hard time spending more than $1k on a car that didn't run even if the shell was mint... Maybe... Haha