• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Febi Bilstein Oil Pump reliable or not?

Highgrade

the gear on the crankshaft driving the oil pump

stays put for all pumps

different oil pumps require different sprockets -

depending on 1-nut, or 3-screw fastening design

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Just be extra sure you assemble the relief valve mechanism perfectly, pre-lube it a little, and don't jam it up inside when installing the pump. The newer pumps are a little different design than the old ones, and accidentally jamming the relief valve is seemingly common.. This results in excessive pressure that blows off oil filters, and subsequent swearing as you have to drop the oilpan and re-do it...

And yeah, old engines came with a three bolt design, and you have to replace it with a new sprocket that only attaches with a single nut. You might not know which you have until you take it apart.

I haven't heard anything about different timing gears being use don the crank itself, but I might not know everything (in fact I probably don't know much).

And research whether you need to loc-tite nut, which side of the sprocket to put the washer on, etc. I can't remember it off the top of my head right now.

The Febi Bilstein pump quality has come into question before, but I think it might be primarily due to people having problems putting together the pressure relief valve. I carefully installed a new Febi Bilstein pump in ~05, and its been running fine for 5 years now.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

the problem with the febi pump is that it came in a plastic bag, and the relief valve would fall out. people would put it in upside down, and that caused the filters to blow out. iirc, the top side of the valve has a cut it it. i sold hundreds of these pumps when i worked at dallas european, i put them in my own cars.

Ken Inn