• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Special Smog LA?

lobf

just pay the registration fee on time. DMV doesn't care if the actual smog test occurs later. they just want the money. of course you'll be driving with a stale tag. I do this all the time with my 525i because it takes me a while to get it passed. then you can wait for your mechanic to get set up

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

our local "friendly " smog guy just got nailed !!!!!!!!!!! spy cameras etc a big deal! , shut down & faces bad times ahead , be careful out there ,pre 76 is the only safe way in Ca unfortunately.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

You should not drive legally if a car has expired tags. Paying the fee prevents you from accumulating late fees and penalties but if you get pulled over, you can be written up for driving with expired tags. You may even get your car impounded. Not worth the risk.

You could on the other hand get an extension to use your car to get it smogged if you already tried and failed.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

California recently change when they send renewals and how and when late fees are added. Fees are now due "within 30 days of the due date", instead of by the due date.

The upside of this is that gives you an extra month, and removes expired tags (one month out) from a reason for the police to take notice.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/newsrel11/julyrenewals.htm

Patrick Owens

www.OopsClunkThud.com

BMW 2002 US manufactured on April 17th, 1969, colour was Granada, paint code 023.

Why won't it pass?

No EGR, non-smog legal carb, "gross polluter" on last smog test. :-/

If you are planning to keep this car, you will need to take some drastic action. You can't keep looking for someone to cheat for you every two years. Smog stations are no longer willing to risk it even for their "friends." Too many are getting busted and the penalties are severe on the shop. And the laws don't look like they are going to change anytime soon.

And that is why 76s are worthless in California.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.

Why won't it pass?

If you are planning to keep this car, you will need to take some drastic action. You can't keep looking for someone to cheat for you every two years. Smog stations are no longer willing to risk it even for their "friends." Too many are getting busted and the penalties are severe on the shop. And the laws don't look like they are going to change anytime soon.

Yeah, I bought it when I was a teenager before they changed that law. I'm kind of stuck with it now... Considering the historical plates option, but I'm not sure what the penalties are for being busted not driving it to a show. It is my commuter.

Why won't it pass?

Yeah, I bought it when I was a teenager before they changed that law. I'm kind of stuck with it now... Considering the historical plates option, but I'm not sure what the penalties are for being busted not driving it to a show. It is my commuter.

Cops don't like it. If you get pulled over once and get away with, the second time won't be pleasant.

I 'm afraid you really don't have an easy or cheap option out of this, at least not legally.

Pierre

O==00==O

Why won't it pass?

Take the car to Jack Fahuna in Van Nuys or Bruce Barthel in Chatsworth and see what they can do for you.

I've had two friends in the past two years get pulled over and their cars TOWED with no warning for just having expired tags. One in Burbank, one in Santa Monica. It is a very cheap/easy way for the city to get a few extra bucks. Traffic cops are under crazy pressure to write more tickets, especially in the West Side of LA... Get the thing fixed (even if only temporarily) or trade someone for an '89 Honda that will pass every time.

Good Luck!

'74 2002 (Non-Op)

'74 2002 (Good to go)

There are six counties in california that DO NOT require biannual smog checks. I have not smogged my my wife's car in 11 years(2000 vw). All you have to do is have an address in one of thsoe counties. Then go to DMV and change the registration to that address and the DMV will give you your tags. Keep the address there for a few days and change it back later. I know Mariposa is on county and another is way up north.

I guy at work changed the trans in his truck which caused a check engine light which prevented him from getting a smog. I told him to change the registered address and he came to work the next day with his tags.

Kevin