• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Special Smog LA?

lobf

I just looked online into this and there are three types of smog certification in California. Basic, Enhanced, and Change of ownership. Not sure of the difference between basic and enhanced. If your address is in a county that is covered under change of ownership it looks like you will just have to smog the car if and when the vehicle is sold in that county. Here is the web site with the different areas.

www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80.../02_SmogCheck/.../Program_Map.pdf

sounds pretty tempting...

Ryan

76 jadegrun "Helle"

Why won't it pass?

No EGR, non-smog legal carb, "gross polluter" on last smog test. :-/

And that is why 76s are worthless in California.

I saw at least 4 '76s in the SF Bay Area craigslist a couple days ago.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Different than some opinions stated 76 models are not worthless here in CA.

There are 2 parts of a legal emissions test.

1. Visual test

2. Tailpipe test

There are several of us (Casey Motorsports, JF Pro, La Jolla Independent, etc.) that repair and tune 76 models to pass the emission test.

Yes - this is time consuming as attention to detail and experience add up.

Yes - all parts are available as needed , sometimes used and sometimes new.

Yes - this can and is done so that the ENGINE (not motor) runs properly and efficiently.

There is also (as previously linked) 2 different areas of the state that require different standards of the testing process.

1. Enhanced (larger metropolitan areas) that use a dyno to measure not only HC and CO, also NOX levels. This is why with millions of people the smog has not gotten that much worse over the last 20 years. Keep in mind that advances in electronics, materials and systems have improved the air quality as well despite the increases in population.

2. Basic (counties like SLO) that have the tailpipe test to measure HC & CO levels. As the definition would explain that is the simplest (read less expensive) to get legal.

A change of ownership usually comes under more scrutiny by smog shops to lessen their liability by the system to do things correctly.

Bottom line is if someone is going to live and work in an enhanced area they are going to have to commit to the cost and get it done correctly by an established and licensed facility. Cutting corners will usually result in added expense in the long run and lessen the joy of driving a 2002, 1976 or not.

Also keep in mind that any engine that is in poor (internal) condition will not usually pass through the process despite any amount of time, money or parts needed to get through the 2 steps

Good luck and persevere to get yoiur car through the system.

Parts inquiries: 2002haussales@gmail.com FAQ Supporting Vendor  www.2002haus.com www.bmw2002registry.com  Free Your Mind - Remove the Chains and Think 

I hereby confirm and approve everything Rob said.

A 76 in California has to remain fairly stock. Otherwise they become worthless, or should I say worth less because of the smog laws. Bringing them back to stock can sometimes be an expensive proposition.

Even when everything is installed correctly, a 76 may still need a cat to make them pass.

Generally, a 76 is worth less than older 2002 in California because of the smog laws and the restrictions an owner may be subjected to.

On the flip side, from a quality stand point, the 76s were the best built 2002s.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam